GTX Engine Removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwgsx

I recently acquired a motorized winch and was wondering if I can lift a complete engine out of a 1996 GTX without removing the pipe and carbs? Is it possible?

You can't with the pipe on. Some hulls you might be able to leave the carbs on like the 97+ XP but I pretty sure it won't work on the GTX. Honestly it's 4 bolts to get the cabs off so why risk the trouble?

Ive done it many times, just thought it would save some time and its easier on the bench.

I have done it with the carbs on a 96 GTX, BUT be careful! The motor swung over a little and bent the choke plate on one of the carbs. They are the farthest thing that sticks out. Glad I had a second set.

I will be pulling the engine in the 97GTX but I already removed the carbs, exhaust and cylinders.

With all of that removed already, you should be able to just reach in there and lift it out yourself. That;s how I got mine out. Going back in though, I will probably heed a lift, since it will have the cylinders and manifold back on it

With all of that removed already, you should be able to just reach in there and lift it out yourself. That;s how I got mine out. Going back in though, I will probably heed a lift, since it will have the cylinders and manifold back on it
Yup.... I just lifted it out by hand. LOL after I disconnected the starter and ground wire. :)

Yeah, I would have definitely used a hoist if I had one. I am probably going to buy one for the install.

After 25 years of lifting these things out by hand my back tells me every day that I should have been using a hoist.
Sorry, I didn't mention that the cylinders, pipe, carbs and all that stuff was removed. :) My jest was that when I lifted the engine to remove it, the starter was still connected. I have a hoist and will reinstall using it for sure. Wasn't much too the engine with all the stuff removed but still easy to injure one's self. Hoist is better for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back