GTX DI TO CARB CONVERSION

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi forum, well this season did me in on the GTX DI'S ive rebuilt both my DI's top to bottom, everytime we take them out, one or the other gives problems, i have a old reliable 98 gtx carbed model, that never fails to run and save the day for over 5 years now. my question is? has anyone ever converted a DI to a carbureted version, the reason i would even consider this is, that i did a complete custom makeover of my 01 DI, painted the body the beautiful camaro green, changed the main body to platinum silver, mats seat covers, changed the bottom to black gelcoat, powder coated the engine parts to match, handle bar grips trigger throttle, graphics ect ect ect, theres not another one like it, i have an entire winter in the makeover, and a ton of money in it, i just cant stand the thought of going through this again this summer, id rather spend the winter converting to the reliable carb version

Hi forum, well this season did me in on the GTX DI'S ive rebuilt both my DI's top to bottom, everytime we take them out, one or the other gives problems, i have a old reliable 98 gtx carbed model, that never fails to run and save the day for over 5 years now. my question is? has anyone ever converted a DI to a carbureted version, the reason i would even consider this is, that i did a complete custom makeover of my 01 DI, painted the body the beautiful camaro green, changed the main body to platinum silver, mats seat covers, changed the bottom to black gelcoat, powder coated the engine parts to match, handle bar grips trigger throttle, graphics ect ect ect, theres not another one like it, i have an entire winter in the makeover, and a ton of money in it, i just cant stand the thought of going through this again this summer, id rather spend the winter converting to the reliable carb version

I can definitely understand the work and money you put in it, which weighs the question or not to keep it and convert to a carb model. Especially that bottom of the hull to black gelcoat effort. I did this to my 97' GTX, re gelcoat to black over the green and new white gelcoat on top side. I have a ton of labor hours in cosmetics alone, so I get it.

I'd consider selling it as is and see what you can recoup. Might be enough to break even and get a GTX carbed model in decent shape or minimal work. Or keep it and get a carbed model, and when the time is right sell it. I'm just not sure if converting is worth it, especially when some people are trying to give skis away at times. See my post from yesterday on the GTXL and GSXL in TN for $450.

I can definitely understand the work and money you put in it, which weighs the question or not to keep it and convert to a carb model. Especially that bottom of the hull to black gelcoat effort. I did this to my 97' GTX, re gelcoat to black over the green and new white gelcoat on top side. I have a ton of labor hours in cosmetics alone, so I get it.

I'd consider selling it as is and see what you can recoup. Might be enough to break even and get a GTX carbed model in decent shape or minimal work. Or keep it and get a carbed model, and when the time is right sell it. I'm just not sure if converting is worth it, especially when some people are trying to give skis away at times. See my post from yesterday on the GTXL and GSXL in TN for $450.

yeah i have considered that also, trouble is i did both 01 DI's the other one was done in candy apple blue, with all the same bells and whistles for my wife, when they run, i love the ride, but OMG the issues they have, is it all the DI's or the the first couple years? and i have heard from others that say the 4 TECS are just as bad, thanks for the reply

Not sure what issues you are having but there is a guy on the Facebook Sea-Doo 2 stroke Owners site. He absolutely loves DI's. Perhaps he can help you. I think his name is Shane. Post your troubles and see if he can help. Good Luck. :)

To convert to carb from di, your essentially need a donor ski. I'm right in the middle of covering an 04 RXDI to carb as well, but I've got the spare parts laying around. Not because I dislike them, but I'm burned out on them after having rebuilt a dozen di's this year. It's nothing overly difficult, and you're actually at an advantage as the old 6 port gray air injectors are worth a few hundred bucks. And the good fuel pump is a 200+ dollar item
Go for it, just get a donor first

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps, but I do have a carbed 2000 GTX 951 engine and carbs set I would sell for cheap. The carbs and engine would need to be rebuilt. PM me if you are interested.

I've seen a couple guys use the original tank by having a plate made that bolts in where the fuel pump did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back