gtx 4tec - p1202

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hitest

Hi-
I have a 2003 seadoo gtx 4tec
It starts and runs pretty well, but after 10 minutes or so, produces a p1202 error. If I shut it off and restart it's good for another 10 or 15....

I did some research on this forum and elsewhere, and did some testing:

The TOPS doesn't click when I put the lanyard on, which was the first thing most people mentioned.
Resistance across the Tops sensor was 2.2 ohms.
Voltage at TOPS sensor input wire harness (with or without lanyard in)
Terminal marked "1": 0 (ground presumably)
Termanal marked "2": 12.1 (whether lanyard on or not.)

So, according to a document I found online, the TOPS sensor may be bad, if it's getting 12 volts, but not closing. But it also says it shouldn't be getting 12 volts input until the lanyard is on...

Anyone have any advice or found a better diagnostic thread than I have?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Additional things I noticed..
No oil around front oil pressure sensor (dry around mount, looks newish)
coolant reservoir empty (uh-oh).
oil and water in base of engine compartment- not a lot but it worries me a little.

Is the connector on the proper direction on the front oil pressure switch? The metal wire should face the rear of the ski and looks backwards but isn't.
I would change that front osps first. They are known for failing.

Is the connector on the proper direction on the front oil pressure switch? The metal wire should face the rear of the ski and looks backwards but isn't.
I would change that front osps first. They are known for failing.
Thanks- Yep- the retaining wire is toward the back... I'm going to check the records to see when it was replaced, but probably order another one to keep onhand.

I have the same EXACT SAME ski which I bought new.

It was driving me crazy several years back with a very similar problem. I am fairly sure that I remember it doing the "terroristic beeping" warning deal on my ski. I would shut it down, restart and it would be o.k. for an unknown amount of time.

After looking up the codes, with the help of this Forum, I concluded that it was possibly a false oil pressure warning situation. Somewhere along the line, one of the Forums regular guys mentioned that there were 2 different oil pressure switches (OPSU). I found and replaced both with OEM Bombardier parts and it NEVER did it again.

I think one was easy, up top in the front of the motor and one was difficult, down on the right side near the oil filter housing? (not positive on that) The guys on this Forum will know if that info is correct.

I have the same EXACT SAME ski which I bought new.

It was driving me crazy several years back with a very similar problem. I am fairly sure that I remember it doing the "terroristic beeping" warning deal on my ski. I would shut it down, restart and it would be o.k. for an unknown amount of time.

After looking up the codes, with the help of this Forum, I concluded that it was possibly a false oil pressure warning situation. Somewhere along the line, one of the Forums regular guys mentioned that there were 2 different oil pressure switches (OPSU). I found and replaced both with OEM Bombardier parts and it NEVER did it again.

I think one was easy, up top in the front of the motor and one was difficult, down on the right side near the oil filter housing? (not positive on that) The guys on this Forum will know if that info is correct.
Thanks very much- Sounds like I should replace the switches... I am wondering why the TOPS doesn't click on startup though- the service manual says it should, but maybe that's caused by the bad oil pressure switch... Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back