GTI and RXT Run and Die

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Netstorm

Hi, having the same problem with two Seadoos and asking for some guidance.

2006 - Seadoo GTI SE

2006 - Seadoo RXT Supercharged

The problems all seemed started when we lost the key to the RXT. I took both skis in and was told "hey, we can make your learner key a full blown key" which I said yes to. Then they said, "want us to do the same on the GTI so both your keys are full blown keys" which I said yes.

Both do the same thing but not always at the same time. They will start up, run for about 5-10 minutes and then bog down and die like they have no fuel. You can start them back up and they will run for a few seconds and eventually die on their own. Eventually they will not even turn over when pressing the start button. I even went and bought new keys and had them both programmed thinking something in the learner key is still making it a learner key. If you let them sit for a few hours they will start back up just fine and do it all over again.

They both have new batteries, spark plugs, changed the gas, and both have low miles. I even sucked all the gas out and changed it with fresh gas. It is odd like it is a security feature or something, b/c they both have the exact same symptoms.

Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If they eventually won't turn over when pressing the start button it sounds like a voltage problem or are you just draining the battery trying to start it? Could be voltage regulator issue. You should check voltage while running or even change it since they are cheap and takes a few minutes.

I don't think it has anything to do with the keys, just coincidental timing.

Thanks for the reply. How do I check the voltage when it is running? I have a multi-meter but need some guidance. Also, I put them back on the trickle charger so by now the batteries are charged up. I read someone else said that using a trickle charger while the batteries are still connected damages the rectifier. I'm not sure of the difference between the regulator and the rectifier but I do have the batteries still connected to the skis with the trickle charger (battery tender) connected on the battery as well. What is the difference between the regulator and the rectifier? Does that seem like a possibility?

A quick google search after the fact tells me the regulator and the rectifier is the same thing. Other questions still pending though on testing and whether it could be damaged on both skis. Seems odd both do the same thing but it's possible I guess if that part is damaged on both.

Set your multimeter to DC voltage, put red lead on battery positive, the black lead on negative. Measure voltage non running and then running. Report back.

You should check your ground wires that they are all tight and in good condition with no corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back