GSX Swamped, Problems Starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

budnikasr

Hi Everyone,

First time post here so I want to thank everyone who can help out on this problem.

I have a 96 GSX and over the weekend, the ski got swamped. Everything was wet so I dried it up over night. The next morning I attached the dess key and without any problems it started up and ran without issue.

Yesterday, I went out and tried to start it and all I heard was a buzzing noise from the rear electrical box after some time even that noise disappeared and it would not turn over. I put a voltmeter on the battery and it was showing 12.65v but when I put the charger on it started at 25% which is odd since the day before it was full charged.

After reading all the forums with similar problems and after I bridged the solenoid still nothing. By accident, I was charging the battery, attached the dess key and I heard the two beeps. forgetting I was still charging I bridged the solenoid and it and the engine started. Then I took the charging cables off the battery and nothing. No beeps, it wouldn't even turn over. So I called my local seadoo shop and he said most likely the solenoid needs replacement. I bought a new one and it does the same thing, but when I put the charger on the battery and then attach the key, I get the two beeps, hit the start button and it started.

I just don't know what else could be the issue. All the fuses are good, all contacts are free of corrosion.

I've taken the battery to the shop where I bought it and they tested it. although the specs on the battery are 270CCA, when they put it on the load tester it was showing 451CCA. Mechanic said it was still like new.

Thank you again to all that can help!

Robert

First, never ever do anything with a charger connected or you can and will fry the MPEM computer.

It sure sounds like a bad battery. There is no way a 270 CCA battery will put out 451 CCA.

Ditto, what MIKI said. A 270 CCA can't magically up it's game to 450 CCA....where would all that "extra" power suddenly come from???

If the ski has power with a charger attached to the battery (and that should be a big NO NO), but then loses power when the charger is detached.....that kinda says the battery is not doing it's thing.

Solenoids are cheap enough to replace anyway.....keep your cable connections oriented properly.

Here's an update. Just to let you know, I contacted BRP customer support and they said there is no issue to have a trickle charger connected to the battery and trying to start it. They said, should there be a power spike the fuses would blow before damaging any electronics.

I took the battery to another shop and they did their load test and the battery was showing 269cca, which is the correct amount and will never show the exact amount rated on the box. Nothing wrong with the battery according to the mechanic and said the other guy didn't know what he was doing.

I replaced the solenoid and still no joy. Then I removed the starter(what a pain), tested it and cleaned both terminals. reinstalled it and voila, it started and keeps starting without issue. I'm going to let it sit overnight to see if there is any drain on the battery.

Thanks for your help!

Robert

Sorry, BRP is wrong on that. Many. many well documented cases on here of fried MPEM's.

Glad you got the ski running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back