Got my '99 GTX up to speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SabrToothSqrl

Tossed a new engine from SES engines into a '99 GTX LTD I bought with a blown engine.

broken in, and riding it. Wouldn't break 6k full throttle, sluggish, boring, sucked a 1/2 tank in around 2 hours.

Took it home, and did everything I've ever read about to fix it. (Spoiler alert, it runs AWESOME).

Clipped 1/4" off the plug wires, put in some electrical grease, jammed them back on, zip tied tight. Clamped the plug (cap?) down a bit so they really 'click' onto the plugs now. New plugs. Cleaned the raves (oily, but nothing bad). set the carbs low to 1.5 out, (stalled off the line, so opened up another .15ish of a turn). (always adjust richer first when testing, lean tends to eat engines).
took the water regulator off, cleaned up the valve pin with a wire wheel grinder. used my mouth to verify the operation of it.
used some wire to verify the RAVE solenoid operation used my mouth to verify the 1 way valve going to the engine. checked the water regulator adjustment vs. my stock 02 GTX, verified the RAVE adjustments, put a dab of grease on the DESS key (works 100x better).

Anyway, back on the water, and the 951 should run 7k WOT... this thing ran 6,990 according to the tach, when it smoother out a bit, hit a solid 7,000 RPM on the guage. 64 MPH max according to the speedo and I believe it. (I will GPS it eventually).

Pulls crazy hard, ohh, there was also a pinhole leak in the fuel line from the accelerator pump. seems it's in prime location to get rubbed the wrong way when installing / removing the air box. so I cut 1/4" off that and zip tied it back together.

Now, it puts my 02 XP to shame, you punch it, and from a steady 1,310 RPM idle, the guage goes 1k, 3k, 7k. that fast. it throws you back and pulls hard all the way up to 60+.

Love it. I planned to buy it, fix it, sell it, but having a backup / beater ski is just too much fun when it works this well.

Ski: $750
Trailer $150
SES engines $900
Misc $100

Invested: $1900. for a '99 GTX LTD that had 209 hrs when I installed the new engine. Now it keeps up with my buddy's RXP... he (if he doesn't wuss out) can beat me on flat water, but in the rough, I just keep it pinned and hold on ;)

Anyway, thank you to anyone who's offered these ideas/suggestions. They do work. I don't know which one individually solved my issue(s), but I do know my ski's now running amazing. Any typos / spelling issues can be attributed to my hangover, so deal with it.

$1900 invested is about spot on with the value of 2k-2.4k)

I just sold a 99 GTX on Friday for 2K on the nose, but prices are a tad lower in Florida. Not quite as much fun as other models but it makes up for it with a nice smooth ride on chop, a huge huge huge storage bin (and a 2nd under the rear seat) plenty of room for a passenger or two as well.

Spimothy, where in Florida are you? I just listed our GTX Ltd yesterday for $2350. Did you use Craigslist?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome! Great when they work out.

When you tested the water regulator, you just blew into it? Very hard before you could tell if it was closing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back