Good year for a used ski

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

me757

Looking to get a used 4 stroke, I’m getting rid of my 2 stroke. I have seen a few 2006 gtx, and some 2009 gtis. What are the years to watch out for?
Thanks in advance

Honestly this year there have been a lot of issues with the Seadoo's especially the new ones. Superchargers are always a pain and maintenance item, the early ones had bad valves. I hate to do it especially on this forum but I would consider Yamaha too.

I have two early 4-tecs ... never had an issue with the valves. I would say it's not about the year ... it's about the maintenance. Most owners ride them hard and put them away wet, and hardly anyone documents their maintenance.

I heard from the salesman at Pensacola Motorsports (the sell everything) that the Yamaha shop manual doesn't hold a candle to the BRP manual.

I have two early 4-tecs ... never had an issue with the valves. I would say it's not about the year ... it's about the maintenance. Most owners ride them hard and put them away wet, and hardly anyone documents their maintenance.

I heard from the salesman at Pensacola Motorsports (the sell everything) that the Yamaha shop manual doesn't hold a candle to the BRP manual.

That’s probably because the Yamaha’s don’t need the extensive repairs and maintenance the Seadoo’s do. LOL just kidding.

To the op, yes in my opinion the Yamaha is more reliable. The skis have always been that way. The seadoo have always been more powerful and more technology but more maintenance and a reputation for less reliability. The Yamaha is a little detuned but more reliable. I know a very well known seadoo dealer that is sick of Seadoo’s reliability at this point but is only keeping them to keep the Can Am UTV line.

First run of SC's had poor oiling, updated 05ish I think. (all OEM replacements are updated)
Valve issue is 04, 05 and early 06 supercharged only, they can drop a head and yes poor maint hastens this, but who ever really knows how the previous owner actually maintained it.
Ceramic washers gone by 08 as well as gone once rebuilt, but with say an 06, you have no way to know if they were replaced before they detonated into the crank case or after. I've opened 2 motors know where owners believed the washers were just done because they were due only to find a teaspoon of ceramic gravel still in the case (and damaged oil pumps and marked bearings).
My preference is 02 and up for 155's only. 07 and up for SC models.. For suspension models get 10 up ideally not 09 (but no major differences).
If you want sporty, throw it around stuff, 07/08 RXP's just plain fly, 70mph even loaded up and pretty easy to toss around. If you want to cruise all day and cover a ton of miles, the S3 hulls, especially the iS models are like riding on cloud nine, will track dead ahead on their own (not busy like smaller boats) but are pretty tough to toss around for sporting them.

First run of SC's had poor oiling, updated 05ish I think. (all OEM replacements are updated)
Valve issue is 04, 05 and early 06 supercharged only, they can drop a head and yes poor maint hastens this, but who ever really knows how the previous owner actually maintained it.
Ceramic washers gone by 08 as well as gone once rebuilt, but with say an 06, you have no way to know if they were replaced before they detonated into the crank case or after. I've opened 2 motors know where owners believed the washers were just done because they were due only to find a teaspoon of ceramic gravel still in the case (and damaged oil pumps and marked bearings).
My preference is 02 and up for 155's only. 07 and up for SC models.. For suspension models get 10 up ideally not 09 (but no major differences).
If you want sporty, throw it around stuff, 07/08 RXP's just plain fly, 70mph even loaded up and pretty easy to toss around. If you want to cruise all day and cover a ton of miles, the S3 hulls, especially the iS models are like riding on cloud nine, will track dead ahead on their own (not busy like smaller boats) but are pretty tough to toss around for sporting them.

What about the 130 engine, a 09 GTI

Nothing wrong with the 130's, same boat as 155's except reeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyyy sllloooooowwwww.

A 130 is still same block so boat weighs the same as a 155 and only a couple lbs lighter than a 185/215/255/260.. The 130's are ok for 30mph to 40mph cruising 1 up or 2 'normal' weight riders.. Suck with large riders, trying to tube or especially ski and just don't like continuous runs over 45.. The 155 isn't much more but will pull a skier if under 175lbs and can cruise at 40-45 (tops at 52 gps) I've found the 215's nicest all round. Still dead smooth and steady at lower speeds like 30 but can pull your arms off if you want, can cruise all day in the 50's (easy to do when calm) and are still reasonable fuel burn. On the S3 hull I don't think I'd touch a 155, just a 215, but the S3's with suspension is 1/2 a ton dry, too much for 155

Nothing wrong with the 130's, same boat as 155's except reeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyyy sllloooooowwwww.

A 130 is still same block so boat weighs the same as a 155 and only a couple lbs lighter than a 185/215/255/260.. The 130's are ok for 30mph to 40mph cruising 1 up or 2 'normal' weight riders.. Suck with large riders, trying to tube or especially ski and just don't like continuous runs over 45.. The 155 isn't much more but will pull a skier if under 175lbs and can cruise at 40-45 (tops at 52 gps) I've found the 215's nicest all round. Still dead smooth and steady at lower speeds like 30 but can pull your arms off if you want, can cruise all day in the 50's (easy to do when calm) and are still reasonable fuel burn. On the S3 hull I don't think I'd touch a 155, just a 215, but the S3's with suspension is 1/2 a ton dry, too much for 155

Is the 2009 gti 130 a good engine?

There’s a guy selling 2009 gti 90 hrs for 3900

I think the short answer is yes. If you stay on top of maintenance and don't abuse it, it should be a solid ride for many more hours...

I bought an '08 GTI 155 this summer. It only showed 106 hrs. on the clock, and had obviously been sitting for much of its life. I spent nearly a month chasing some electrical issues--TPS, MAPS and fuel pump--but everything is good now. You should be prepared to bring it up to proper maintenance if it has been neglected by the previous owner, or begin a good maintenance regimen to keep it reliable.

very little difference between the 130 and 155, most people can't even notice it. top speed 57 on 130 and 60 on 155. The 2011 GTI SE 130 is my choice for best all around ski at an affordable price. IBR and brake is worth it, fly by wire is snappy, gps speedometer, excellent reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back