good degreaser

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you getting the grease off of?

If it is not a painted item, like maybe an engine part, RAVE valve, etc, I use GunScrubber. It is almost like compressed acetone in a can. But it will take paint right off and pretty sure it melts rubber and plastic.

I use a VERY brief rub of lacquer thinner to clean grease off my vinyl seats. Again, it eats the vinyl, so I just damp a rag, and wipe it quickly then wash off with soapy water. Lacquer thinner also melts fiberglass so if you use it, do the same as for the vinyl. Use it only in emergency and clean it off quickly.

If you remember from high school chemistry class, "like dissolves like" and fiberglass, vinyl, and grease are all petroleum distillates, and whatever dissolves grease will likely also dissolve paints, fiberglass, vinyl, and plastic.

Chlorine bleach products are pretty good for cleaning grease off of vinyl without damaging the vinyl.

Then for hands, I use gojo without the grit that I have a dispenser for in my garage. First I dump a light dusting of borax powder into my hand for grit, and then 2 pumps of the gojo, and no grease or grime is left.

It all depends on what exactly you are cleaning.

Dawn!....

What is a good degreaser to get off the oil and all the mess?

If your looing to clean your hull and engine components...... nothing better than a bottle of Dawn dishwashing liquid. It's got to be the best oil emulsifier known to man (in my opinion anyway).

So, if your talking about cleaning your motor and hull, take a bucket of hot water and Dawn to it....... You'll be happy with the results....:cheers:

Hot water....!

Don't forget the hot water.

If you mix up a good bucket of hot water and Dawn, it'll clean your hull practically without scrubbing. But, a little elbow grease makes a better clean.

If it is your hull your cleaning, don't be afraid to get your electricals wet. They are "water resistant" but not really, "water proof".

I wash my inside hull with a water hose. I wash everything. I usually only allow the water to come in contact with my electricals under a very low pressure. The pressure stream can penetrate the rubber seal but to just kinda wash over it, all should be fine.........:cheers:

Dawn -
x2
been using it 20 years in boat bilges
does the work for you

happy holidays

Test.... Have you ever had a small oil sheen on the waters surface and taken a drop (one singe drop) of Dawn and put it on that sheen?

Man, that stuff will draw up and disappear so fast.......unreal.

Be carefull! [ Chlorine bleach products are pretty good for cleaning grease off of vinyl without damaging the vinyl] I would be carefull with the bleach as I have heard that it can eat away at the threads that are used to sow the vinyl and I have also read not to use it on the vinyl. The info that I have read can be wrong so do your research. Good luck. robin
What are you getting the grease off of?

If it is not a painted item, like maybe an engine part, RAVE valve, etc, I use GunScrubber. It is almost like compressed acetone in a can. But it will take paint right off and pretty sure it melts rubber and plastic.

I use a VERY brief rub of lacquer thinner to clean grease off my vinyl seats. Again, it eats the vinyl, so I just damp a rag, and wipe it quickly then wash off with soapy water. Lacquer thinner also melts fiberglass so if you use it, do the same as for the vinyl. Use it only in emergency and clean it off quickly.

If you remember from high school chemistry class, "like dissolves like" and fiberglass, vinyl, and grease are all petroleum distillates, and whatever dissolves grease will likely also dissolve paints, fiberglass, vinyl, and plastic.

Chlorine bleach products are pretty good for cleaning grease off of vinyl without damaging the vinyl.

Then for hands, I use gojo without the grit that I have a dispenser for in my garage. First I dump a light dusting of borax powder into my hand for grit, and then 2 pumps of the gojo, and no grease or grime is left.

It all depends on what exactly you are cleaning.

Robin Savell Lloyd...!

I know by experience that Robin is absolutely right about the stitching.

Robin has been a member for quite sometime. He's got this thing about fooling people in a way, that he's never going to say, with a 100% surefire answer for one reason. He's the type guy that knows there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Robin has been instrumental in helping members solve problems with his research. I've seen him work tirelessly in helping a member get their ski back on the water.

Keep your eyes on him, if he's taken the time to look at your thread, believe his answer isn't one that he just popped off an answer to, he did a bit of homework to find our answer......

Gret to have ou back Robin..............:cheers:

Good point on the chlorine on the threads. I don't use that much. Just dab a bleach-soaked towel on the problem spots, not dumping the gallon on the seats.

I was focusing more on problem stains, not the stuff that Dawn takes out. Thinking mostly of grease and blood stains on the back of my seats after working on the engine. I have a penchant for tearing up my knuckles when I work. :ack:

For general cleaning, monthly washes and bilge flushes, I use either dish soap or that orange smelling stuff (can't remember the name, I buy it by the gallon and dilute it in a bucket).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back