Getting a new gtr 215 suggestions?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon32689

Hey guys, I've been outa the game for prob 2-3 years. I started riding quads n sold my seadoos. I've missed it I'm getting back in it. I've always had 2 strokes and had one wake 155 that was a big slow 3 searer.

Now I'm looking at a brand new in crate 2013 gtr215 they want rid of for 10k.

What is like to ask u guys is this a good deal? And a good ski? I like to go fast but also like to cruise and have a good time. Also want dependable. Thanks guys

My riding buddy has a 2012 and loves it I have ridden it a few times and it's a nice ride lots of power and a dry ride compared to my RXP. The iBR system works great I cannot imagine buying a newer ski without it once you get a bit of practice using it docking and manoeuvering in tight spaces is very easy. If you do the required maintenance it should be a very reliable machine. IMHO the GTR is the sleeper model in the Seadoo lineup everyone posting about their GTRs like them with few complaints. My only dislike is the step in the seat I'm 6'2" and like to stretch my legs while cruising but the seat step stops me from sliding my butt back on the seat. If I was in the market for a new Seadoo the GTR would be on my short list.

Hard to comment on price as it varies depending on location.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the rap but it's a lil outa my price range.

Are these things huge gas hogs and is there still problems from the superchargers? I just really want a new one this time with warrinty n only person to have had it.

The newer models have had all the weak points of previous models addressed and yours will be under warranty. The three big problems with early 4tecs were ceramic S/C washers, weak flywheel bolts and corroding exhaust valves. Seadoo say the S/C is good for 200hrs before rebuild personally I would have it rebuilt at 100hrs or two years just for piece of mind. The problem with the S/C failing is the collateral damage that can be done by broken washers etc, if it just failed and did no other damage I would say run it till it breaks but that's not the case here.

I bought my 05 GTX S/C last spring and put over 60hrs on it last year, mid season I did one oil change and one set of spark plugs basically just gas and go I can't imagine going back to two strokes for the kind of riding I do. Fuel usage is similar between my RXP, GTX and my buddies GTR we all get about the same range to a tank.

Okay thanks for info, what is average cost to rebuild the supercharger. Does it have to be done or something I could do if mechanically inclined.

So how long does ur fuel stretch of u just out running around playing on the lake

I bought two untitled skis three seasons ago now. 10 grand for my 09 255 RXT-X and 11,300 for my 2010 GTX
Love them both. From 09 and up no issues with the SC's. Change the oil at the end o each season and they will last years.

If you have your thumb into it hard the 255 is good for about 4 hrs and you need to be looking for fuel. A little of hard playing and regular ride it can last all day. My GTX can easily last all weekend long (not SC'd).

Okay guys thanks got another question

By new like I'm thinking or I found a 2006 rxp black n gold for 4500 cash with trailer n all 12 hours always covered

If the SC has not been serviced them in MUST be. The seller can say it has been, but,,, if they can not produce paperwork to prove it then assume that it still has the ceramic washers in it. With only 12 hrs I would replace the washers. Then at 100 hrs buy an update kit which will have the updated parts that are in the 09 and newer. It will have an updated shaft and then need rebut every 200 hrs.

Location makes a difference but the money is ok based on the hrs. If he can't prove the SC has been serviced I would get it for at least 500 less.

Okay thanks for info, what is average cost to rebuild the supercharger. Does it have to be done or something I could do if mechanically inclined.

$330 for the oem kit and I paid $70 to rebuild. If you get the proper tools you can do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough decision that only you can make.

If you want warranty, that new ski smell and a great all round machine get the GTR.

If you want to save a chunk of cash can live with a two seater and don't mind getting the S/C rebuilt then get the RXP.

I like my RXP but I also have the GTX for longer cruises or riding two up. With a few simple mods the RXP will be faster than the GTR if speed is important to you. The GTR is speed limited to about 67, 68mph on GPS my RXP will slowly pull away from the GTR at top speed holeshot is about the same maybe slight edge to the GTR as I have a hard time keeping the nose down on the RXP. You can't go wrong with either machine really.

Tough decision that only you can make.

If you want warranty, that new ski smell and a great all round machine get the GTR.

If you want to save a chunk of cash can live with a two seater and don't mind getting the S/C rebuilt then get the RXP.

I like my RXP but I also have the GTX for longer cruises or riding two up. With a few simple mods the RXP will be faster than the GTR if speed is important to you. The GTR is speed limited to about 67, 68mph on GPS my RXP will slowly pull away from the GTR at top speed holeshot is about the same maybe slight edge to the GTR as I have a hard time keeping the nose down on the RXP. You can't go wrong with either machine really.

Gonna have to take issue with some of this...

Yes, with a few simple mods the RXP will out pull a stock GTR. However...that is pretty much on flat water only. Any kind of chop will force the RXP outa the water and will reduce it's ability to put it's power and lighter hull to use. By the same token....a few simple mods to the GTR will allow it to out perform any stock to lightly modded RXP on most water...and will flat out kill any RXP in any kind of chop no matter how much HP the RXP has in it.

The main reason BRP came out with the RXP-X. The biggest drawback to an RXP is the size of the tunnel.

If you're asking for my personal preference? Get the GTR. Better hull...more comfortable ride. Even though the RXP is a "two seater"...."3 seaters" handle that chore better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna have to take issue with some of this...

Yes, with a few simple mods the RXP will out pull a stock GTR. However...that is pretty much on flat water only. Any kind of chop will force the RXP outa the water and will reduce it's ability to put it's power and lighter hull to use. By the same token....a few simple mods to the GTR will allow it to out perform any stock to lightly modded RXP on most water...and will flat out kill any RXP in any kind of chop no matter how much HP the RXP has in it.

The main reason BRP came out with the RXP-X. The biggest drawback to an RXP is the size of the tunnel.

I agree on the chop the GTR is a much nicer and dryer ride when it gets rough the RXP wants to jump the waves where the GTR cuts through them.

You can mod the GTR all day long but until you get rid of the 67 to 68mph limiter you get there faster then the computer takes over and holds you there and faster skis pull away. My buddy was pissed first time out on his GTR because my RXP was faster, it will be worse this year after an ET127 wheel, 42lb injectors and a repitch, flat water only of course.

I agree on the chop the GTR is a much nicer and dryer ride when it gets rough the RXP wants to jump the waves where the GTR cuts through them.

You can mod the GTR all day long but until you get rid of the 67 to 68mph limiter you get there faster then the computer takes over and holds you there and faster skis pull away. My buddy was pissed first time out on his GTR because my RXP was faster, it will be worse this year after an ET127 wheel, 42lb injectors and a repitch, flat water only of course.

An ECU re-flash to remove that pesky limiter...I won't tell your buddy...will you?

heh

Lol nah really I want to get something I like to ride and dependable, that's why I want to make the right choice first lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back