Gel Coat Repair / Engine Removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggspell

I ran over some rocks on the ICW and did some damage to the hull of my 2012 RXT-X aS 260. Some scrapes in the Gel coat and two areas about the size of a quarter that chipped of the Gel Coat completely. I have filed an insc. claim and the Sea Doo dealer looked at it yesterday and seems to think the body repair guy (which would be subcontracted out) would want the engine removed so the ski could be turned over to work on. I'm not too crazy about having the engine removed. One of the chipped out areas is right up against the Jet Pump Support bracket, and I think that will have to come off. What do yall think?
Biggspell

Fibreglass isn't waterproof, so needs to be sealed as soon as possible, just do it with brushable flowcoat, that will seal it & fix your problem

West marine has gel coat repair kits for like 20 bucks, I've used it on a black hull and it's super easy. No need to paint after it dries. Just sand and buff

Update, Took the ski to a marine repair shop for the body work. The ride plate and pump support are going to be replaced. The total repair cost will be in excess of 4 grand. Glad I have insc...

Wow!
For whats in that picture?

I was going to agree just some black Marine Tex and you should be good.

did I say WoW!
:eek:

Well if the ride plate and pump support were damaged.... I sure would be thinking the damage is a lot worse. What's the reason? Are they re-gel coating the entire hull?

Update, Took the ski to a marine repair shop for the body work. The ride plate and pump support are going to be replaced. The total repair cost will be in excess of 4 grand. Glad I have insc...

WOW! that seems extreme overkill for what I can see in the picture, maybe the repair shop is ripping off the insurance company

Be sure to let your Insurance company inspect the damage prior to the beginning of any work! They could have a different opinion and pay for way less.

There was one other area about the size of a pencil and 3 inches long that the gel coat had poped off as well as some additional deep scratches etc. The insc. Co. has looked at it an approved the work. I have a $250.00 deductible. $1200.00 is for the removal , reinstalling the new ride plate including the ride plate. The rest is for the actual hull work.

Glad I got the best insurance I could for this machine. I pay a lot, but repairs are expensive. Especially when you only post a couple of pictures on a forum and then, it turns out to be much worse.

This is hard to believe that these two small areas that have the gel coat chipped along with several scratches in the gel coat will cost this much to repair. It gets worst. Got an e-mail from my insurance rep. this afternoon and and the total cost is now at 5 grand. And this is all mostly cosmetic...

I probably would however the check was cut to the body shop and the sea doo shop..

This leads me to believe there is a loan against the seadoo. The insurance company has to make the checks out to the repair shops, or make a check to you and the lien holder. If to you and lien, they will not sign the check until you prove it has been repaired to protect their interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back