gauge problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

I have a 98 sportster 1800 and the fuel gauge doesn't work. The oil indicator light on the gauge still works though. Is this a gauge issue or a sending unit issue? Just don;t want to buy parts that I don't need. Thanks

Magnets....

Jared, welcome to the forum, glad to have you. I think your gage problem may be a simple fix. Most of the times, it's just dirty magnets in the fuel sending unit or a blown fues. Check all your fuse up front for the accessories panel first. If they are o.k., then look at the next steps.
Theres is two ways to test this. You can do resistance test on the two wires comimg from the fuel tube's sending unit, or pull it out and pop the bottom of it and slide out the magnet float and do a visual inspecion. Which is alos a good way to test the float that it isn't full of fuel and lost it's bouyancy. On my boat, I had to remove the ski pylon to pull the tube. If you go this route, loosen the bottom clamp to remove the unit. On the bottom of the unit, you'll see 3 tiny holes. Push a paper clip or other instrument on the tabs to the holes hard enough to slip the bottom cap off. Careful not to break it.

To test the sending unit after you remove it use a multi meter set to ohms, and check to see the resistance as the magnets move up and down the assembly as if the fuel was high or low. It should change as the magnets slide up or down. Chances are it is just dirty magnets in the sender unit.

The guage is not the culprit 99% of the time...

It is the fuel baffle like stated above, the magnets fall off or get dirty. if you clean the magnet and the float is sliding up and down but you are not getting any readings on the OHM meter, Contact me through PM and I can help you.

Thanks, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back