Gas Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfBeat

Way back since 92 I've owned two (2) GTX's that have 8.7 gallon tanks.

Last September I bought a couple 97 Kawi 1100 STX's because I thought they were more dependable than the new SD's, AND because I thought having a 14 gallon tank I could travel farther than on a 8 gal tank.

That thought was misplaced because when comparing any additional mileage, I was in the minus.

Now, albeit the Kawi's are a three carbed engine, that extra carb should not have made much difference in mileage.

Anyone out there have any comments, i.e., how far your 96-99 GTX's can go on a tankful. (96-99 GTX's have 15 gallon tank.

The Operators Guide for my 92/93 GTX's state that at full throttle I can travel for 1.20 hrs.

The OG for a 96 GTX, which has an increased tank size of 6 additional gallons over a 93 GTX states that at full throttle it will travel for LESS than my 93/93 GTX, 1.8 hrs.

My Kawi's, with 3 carbs and a 14 gallon tank will use 12.2 gallons per hour at WOT which I calculated to be 1.10 hrs, so, not much difference when compared to the 96 GTX.

Based upon my calculations it appears that at 1/2 throttle I might be able to ride for 2 1/4 hours?

Any thoughts Grasshoppers??

Fuel Range

I can get up to 30 miles MAX if I am cruising, or 20 if i'm working it hard.

the 951 will do 2 MPG if you keep it around 35 mph.

I've always heard sea-doo's were easier on fuel that other makes.

in 2004 of 2005 I purchased a couple 2000 or 2001 GTX Millennium (Red/Blk) before I read all the negative comments about it being prone to water ingestion. I sole them a few months later, fortunately at a profit.

Now that I read your post stating that your 951 will only travel about 30 on a tank I am really glad I got rid of them.

My 97 Kawi 1100 STX's easily double that figure, so, maybe what you heard about SD's getting better gas mileage is not based on fact?

how many gallons? on 15 gallons I can travel about 30 miles at medium use on the throttle, some wide open starts/runs but mostly cruising speeds. at WOT, it burns 30 GPH (which is 1/2 what my boat does lol)... so it would go 15 miles at WOT in 30 minutes. (approx 60mph).

With HP increases, fuel consumption goes up... how fast do you want to spend?

I recall my 93 GTX's could travel about 75 miles on a full tank (8.5 gallons)(two round trips from Parker Dam to Headgate) and my 97 Kawi's 1100 STX's used about the same amount of gas (14 gallon tanks).

Next month when the weather heats up I am going to monitor mileage more carefully.

What perturbed me is that my Kawi's gas tanks are 90% larger than my 93 GTX's, but don't go 90% farther.

Since you only get 1/2 the amount of mileage I do, I am glad that I didn't purchase the 96 GTX's I almost purchased before sighting the Kawi's.

Even with the extra carb, I am doing mo better. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back