GTX 1993 Remove gas tank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

prnewell

93 GTX. Got back from mechanic beginning of July Ran great first 3 outings then after sitting for a few days bogs at more than about 1/4 throttle. Put in some Seafoam and ran it a few times but no luck. I suspect water in the gas due to condensation and/or maybe some accumulated junk in the tank. Pretty sure the carbs were cleaned over the winter to fix similar problems. Tried adding Seafoam but no luck.

I can siphon almost all the gas out using a piece of gas line through the filler, but not all. I'm guessing mechanic has the same problem.

I wanted to remove the tank for a good cleaning and inspection. Looks easy but the stiff metal inner filler neck hose prevents easy removal. I thought maybe I could just twist and lift the tank but no dice. Not sure if I should just apply more pressure. I think it will damage the metal pipe. Maybe there is a trick to it. Has anyone done this?

Alternately:

1. Suggestions as to the best water remover/fuel treatment?
2. If that doesn't work, can I just loosen the clamp and pull the entire assembly with the fuel lines? Then clean the fuel filter(I assume there is one) and maybe tip the machine up enough so the remaining fuel in the tank runs to the back. and I can stick a hose in the big hole and angle it to the back corner of the tank to suck everything out?

Back