Fuel or Electrical? 1996 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

1GaryBryan

I have owned this ski for the past several years. Every summer it either gives me a fantastic day at the lake or a headache.

Ran the ski for about 1/2 hour through wakes at about 2 thirds throttle. When I reached a protected area where the lake was fairly flat I ran at about 1/3 throttle. I heard steady popping, directly timed with the engine speed. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was normal. As I increased the throttle, I could notice when the WOT circuit kicked in, the popping when away and the engine hummed nicely. As I pulled into a cove and came to an idle, the ski ran about 30 sec and it died. Started it up and ran about 15 sec and it died. It progressively got worse until it was almost impossible to start. I pulled over (pulled the plugs, they looked dry/tan) and decided to leaned the mixture screws an 1/8 at a time until it ran better at idle and it did not die, however I lost full throttle, and the popping really never went away either. So I enriched the mixture once again to where it was before.

On the way back to the marina it initially would only run about 1/2 throttle. I popped the fuel filler cap, no change. Eventually it revved beyond full throttle and I kept it there until I got back to the marina. Between the no wake area and the docks, it consistently stalled.

I have rebuild (OEM parts) the carbs 2 weeks ago, set the pop off valve to spec, replaced the the fuel hoses, fuel selector switch last year. I am running premix at about 40:1 or 2.5oz per gal. Compression check today 175 each hole.

Would my coils give me similar symptoms if they were braking down? Although typically something like that would break down under load, she runs great under load. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would check the voltage regulator/rectifier, disconnect the red wire and see if the problem clears up. If it does replace the rectifier. Note: the battery will not charge with the red wire disconnected.

BTW 175psi is way high for compression, if you have a rebuilt motor you probably need to check the squish, for now you need to be running at least premium fuel.

Lou

Yep... what he said. A bad regulator can cause strange things to happen.

BUT... on the carbs... if they are set properly... they will run properly. SO... just set the needles to the OEM specs.

With that all said... when was the last time you put in fresh spark-plugs?

Thank you for everyone's input. I find it hard to believe that electrical can cause such an issue, but that's where I'm going for now. I'll get back to you soon. BTW, brand new plugs.

The other thing I was pondering was the possibility that is was coil related, any thoughts? Thanks

Here is the latest, I set the needles to OEM spec, 1 turn out. Took it to the marina and ran it, set the idle speed as best as possible. Disconnected the red wire from the rectifier, there was no change that I
could tell. It just does not sound right, there's a rattle, knocking, noise in the background. Is that normal for a 2 stroke?

I'm thinking maybe coils. I have cut the wires for fresh ends, I just may replace them as well. I have included a clip, any help?http://youtu.be/Qag0GZ4hfb0

Are you running in or out of the water? What's your compression?

Lou

Hi Lou, it's in the water. Compression is 175 in each hole. She sputters, and hiccups at low and mid throttle, she will stall at idle if ran long enough. WOT she seems to run fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back