Fuel issue 98 speedster

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty nail

No accelerator pump. Twin 787

This is a project boat. I drained the bad fuel, rebuilt carbs Mikuni kit, put in fresh fuel and I cannot get the fuel to draw from the tank. I cannot see the fuel get into the filter. Does the carb need to be primed with fuel in order for the pump to work? All lines are hooked back up including pulse line. I have checked all clamps for vacuum leaks

I belive the fuel pumps are above the motors,,,are the pulse lines connected?,,.you can take the fuel pumps apart to check the internal diaphrams and check valves,

the pumps are apart of the carbs and they have been rebuilt. i am going to check to make sure the fuel lines are not plugged . Like i mentioned before, this is a project boat and it was in rough shape sitting for quite some time. i did not see any dirt in the old fuel but i maybe something got lodged in the line. If the lines are clear i am at a loss.

Does it have a fuel selector?,,if yes,,run the fuel directly to the carbs,,,did you check the clear check valves in the pump side for cracks?

no fuel selector. check valves were replaced when i did the rebuild. and made sure the blue line was up during install.

The carbs do not need to be primed,,,if you have pulse to the carb,,then something perhaps something is wrong in the carb ,,if you pour some premix into the cylinders, does it start right up

Last edited:
Try removing the fuel line at the carb and use a hand vacuum pump to see if you get fuel there. You may have a clogged fuel line.

fuel lines are all clear, When i shoot quick start the engine fires right up. Something must be wrong with the carb/my rebuild.

If the micro filters are clean,,,if the check, valves are not cracked,,,if the spring is installed properly,,,if the needle is not closed...if you don't have the in and return lines backwards,,,and assume you do,have pulse from the motor,,,then the pickup baffle may be cracked,,,or the pickup,screen is plugged,,,

is the "pick up baffle" located in the block where the fuel enters the carb? and the screen inside there somewhere? i definety did not know there was a screen in there. do you need to take the intake tube out and if so, how is this done?

decided to abandon this carb and try an another carb setup that i had with the accelerator pump. All runs and idles fine. So the carb i spent all this time on has something wrong with it in the pump portion.

I think the pickup screen is that thing that is sticking out of the gas tank (i know there is a screen in there that could be clogged). Ever figure out what the issue was with that carb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back