fuel enrichner/choke problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tony0713

it seems that my choke solenoid went out on me. does anyone know the part number? I can't find it on any part microfish.

Your profile does not list what watercraft, engine, hull you have.

That info will be needed to help you better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Your profile does not list what watercraft, engine, hull you have.

That info will be needed to help you better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Yep... what he said.

We need the year/model of the boat. The type of engine (assuming a 210 since it has carbs) and the engine serial number would help too.

oh that would help lol. sorry forgot.

it's a 03 challenger 1800 with the 210 m2. also I took a look at the back of the ignition switch and the yellow w/ black tracer, which is the wire to the solenoid, is just hanging there. no connector, no nothing, just bare wire. or is the choke automatic?

Last edited by a moderator:
oh that would help lol. sorry forgot.

it's a 03 challenger 1800 with the 210 m2. also I took a look at the back of the ignition switch and the yellow w/ black tracer, which is the wire to the solenoid, is just hanging there. no connector, no nothing, just bare wire. or is the choke automatic?

This is from the manual:

Enrichment System
The Turn Key Start (TKS) Electronic Control Module (ECM) electrically controls the enrichment
valve to provide a rich fuel charge for starting a cold engine.
The TKS ECM monitors engine coolant temperature (thru the temperature sensor) and
ignition timing.
The TKS ECM electronically opens the enrichment valve for varying lengths of time – the
colder the engine, the longer the valve remains open. The TKS ECM also advances ignition
timing – Below 3,000 RPM the TKS ECM advances idle timing 5° until the engine
reaches 104°F (40°C). Above 3,000 RPM, the TKS ECM does not affect ignition timing
regardless of engine temperature.
Fuel is gravity fed to the enrichment valve from the top carburetor float bowl. When the
valve is opened, fuel is drawn to outlet ports on each carburetor flange by crankcase vacuum.
During cold start, throttle shutters should be closed – maximizing crankcase vacuum
– to draw ample fuel from the enrichment valve.
Fuel Enrichment operates as a function of time and block temperature.
a. Enrichment valve will continue to provide fuel while engine is cranking until block
temperature reaches approximately 122° F (50° C), at which point it will no longer
provide fuel.
b. When block is hot (normal operating temperature – 140° to 155° F) enrichment
valve will provide fuel for approximately 1/2 second when key is turned to “ON”
position. The valve will not provide fuel during cranking at temperatures above
122° F (50° C).

And....

Manual Operation of Enrichment Valve
IMPORTANT: Manual use of enrichment valve if engine is warm could result in engine
flooding.
Should enrichment circuit of TKS ECM fail, press button on enrichment valve and hold
approximately 5 seconds. Release button. Start engine.

So... The "choke" is electronic.

This is from the manual:

Enrichment System
The Turn Key Start (TKS) Electronic Control Module (ECM) electrically controls the enrichment
valve to provide a rich fuel charge for starting a cold engine.
The TKS ECM monitors engine coolant temperature (thru the temperature sensor) and
ignition timing.
The TKS ECM electronically opens the enrichment valve for varying lengths of time – the
colder the engine, the longer the valve remains open. The TKS ECM also advances ignition
timing – Below 3,000 RPM the TKS ECM advances idle timing 5° until the engine
reaches 104°F (40°C). Above 3,000 RPM, the TKS ECM does not affect ignition timing
regardless of engine temperature.
Fuel is gravity fed to the enrichment valve from the top carburetor float bowl. When the
valve is opened, fuel is drawn to outlet ports on each carburetor flange by crankcase vacuum.
During cold start, throttle shutters should be closed – maximizing crankcase vacuum
– to draw ample fuel from the enrichment valve.
Fuel Enrichment operates as a function of time and block temperature.
a. Enrichment valve will continue to provide fuel while engine is cranking until block
temperature reaches approximately 122° F (50° C), at which point it will no longer
provide fuel.
b. When block is hot (normal operating temperature – 140° to 155° F) enrichment
valve will provide fuel for approximately 1/2 second when key is turned to “ON”
position. The valve will not provide fuel during cranking at temperatures above
122° F (50° C).

And....

Manual Operation of Enrichment Valve
IMPORTANT: Manual use of enrichment valve if engine is warm could result in engine
flooding.
Should enrichment circuit of TKS ECM fail, press button on enrichment valve and hold
approximately 5 seconds. Release button. Start engine.

So... The "choke" is electronic.

oh thanks. exactly what I was looking for but I don't have a manual override button on the valve.

Sorry I missed this. Normally, I'm right on top of Merc questions.

Your choke valve is P/N 831995T

Also... it looks like the 210 didn't change over the years, on the "SportJet" drive. So.... The key may not have the "Ckoke" function active, as with the outboard 210. (I'll check)

Your valve should be on the starboard side of the engine, mounted close to the center carb. The manual button is on the top. As with the above instructions... hold it for 5 seconds, and it may reset. (or free itself)

Now... since you haven't really told use what's wrong.... we can tell you what to do. A new valve is $120.... but it may not be your prob.

So.... is it running crazy rich, or is it not getting any extra fuel to start up with?

There can be mechanical issues for both... but it could be that your temp sender has gone bad too.

****EDIT*****

The yellow/black wire isn't connected to your key. The choke valve is only controled by the TKS-ECM.

Sorry I missed this. Mormally, I'm right on top of Merc questions.

You choke valve is P/N 831995T

Also... it looks like the 210 didn't change over the years, on the "SportJet" drive. So.... The key may not have the "Ckoke" function active, as with the outboard 210. (I'll check)

Your valve should be on the starboard side of the engine, mounted close to the center carb. The manual button is on the top. As with the above instructions... hold it for 5 seconds, and it may reset. (or free itself)

Now... since you haven't really told use what's wrong.... we can tell you what to do. A new valve is $120.... but it may not be your prob.

So.... is it running crazy rich, or is it not getting any extra fuel to start up with?

There can be mechanical issues for both... but it could be that your temp send has gone bad too.

mine doesn't have the button on top.

my boat wasn't starting so I did the normal checks. lead to the enrichner not shooting fuel into the carbs. it wasn't clicking or anything. figured it is shot. it was getting constant power on one side. I had to take he spark arrested off and my hand over the carb to get it to start, fired right up then.

mine doesn't have the button on top.

my boat wasn't starting so I did the normal checks. lead to the enrichner not shooting fuel into the carbs. it wasn't clicking or anything. figured it is shot. it was getting constant power on one side. I had to take he spark arrested off and my hand over the carb to get it to start, fired right up then.

I don't have a 210.... but looking over the manual... the button doesn't look like a button. It's just a flat hunk of metal on top. AND... there could be a plastic cover.

Before you buy a new valve... make sure you are getting voltage to the valve, when you turn the key on. AND... make sure the temp sender's are working. I think the one that controls the valve is on your starboard head.

The round spot is the manual button.

480.jpg

yea it was getting power and fuel came out of the port on the top carb that feeds the enrichner. I would have to check it this weekend.

how do I check the sensor?

update. was at the boat this weekend. I do have a button, doesn't look like one but it's there. clicked it a couple times and it fired up normally, but I didn't try starting before I pushed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back