Frustrated with this 717 GTI rebuild, here's the history....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYSONFLYNN

Thanks for any responses! Rebuilt the entire 717 1996 GTI (has hour on it after the following), including SBT Rotary valve and plate. Rebuilt carbs twice, first with cheap kit and then with MK genuine parts. Carbs are in synch x4 attempts. Just got back from the lake, pre-set the low speed to 1.5 turns out, running 32:1 with oil injection delete, just Klotz Ski Craft premixed. Initially ran like crap before the top jets kicked in, ran perfect on top jets from 1/2 to WOT throttle. Adjusted the low speed several times, up and down, kept getting worse, had to feather it or give it slight bit of choke. Could feather the throttle up to the top end jets and it would come alive. That's first problem... secondly it started blowing the 5amp fuse? What the heck is going on? Thanks everyone for suggestions!

Check for shorts in the charging system...Is this a vts equipped ski? That will blow the 5 amp fuse if i recall correctly. Check your stator plug for damage.

Now as far as the carbs im not familiar with your settings however if you pull the choke and it runs better your probably running lean. Did you leak test the engine before it went into the ski?

Verify the Pilot jets are 67.5, Main jets are 130, Needle/Seats are 1.2 in each carb and the Low Sped screws are about 1 1/4 turns out. With the High Speed screws closed. The Pilot jets directly affect idle to initial throttle response. And it sounds like your Mains are 130 with the better throttle response on top end. The Main jets are responsible from 3/8 throttle response all the way up to WOT.

I can't find schematics for the '96 GTi. But looking at the GSX model. The 5A fuse goes to the DC-CDI module and your MPEM. Either one of these being faulty could be causing your Low Speed issue. Verify the jets and N/S in each carb first. Also, I recommend premixing at 36:1. Especially on a brand new motor. Protect that investment!

Make sure you also supply the rotary gear with oil. You can’t just go premix on these and forget the rotary gear.

Also Klotz does meet the Seadoo oil spec.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, rotary valve is getting a separate oil supply. Jets are all in spec also.

So when it blew the 5amp fuse, I disconnected the battery. When hooking it back up I got a slight shock when touching the motor. Leaning toward a faulty voltage regulator. Did give it one more test run after this, got to wide open throttle and it just shut down.

Off the subject... will my rings seat running the Klotz Synthetic oil? Multiple variable going here lol!

I was struggling with something similar, ski would fire up run fine then shut off, turned out the stator was shorting to ground. If you are going to take a look at the rectifier I would check each of the yellow leads from the stator to the rectifier and see if they have proper resistance to ground and to each other.

I would also check all of your grounds as well as the stator as you should not get shocked touching the engine.

You synthetic is fine for break-in but Klotz is not an approved oil for your ski. You really need to be using an API-TC rated oil.

Thanks for all the replies. Have everything on order, other than stator, which replaced with a new aftermarket one while the motor was out.

Get a lot of conflicting info on running Klotz, but appreciate the input.

Again, appreciate everyone's help. Once we get it fixed and do a video on this machince, this site will be linked. Several million views Everything ATV-UTV-Reviews

I haven’t had a lot of experience with the aftermarket stators myself but have read here in a lot of threads that they can be junk compared to OEM. Might want to double check it to be sure you didn’t get a dud.

Checked the stator tonight, tested good. Found another issue with the gauges, appreciate this site. I'll post pictures of what was found, you won't believe this with the day one history.

View attachment 50838

Flushed and de greased the ski several times after purchasing, before attempting to rebuild. The bilge pumps were completely clogged with this material, basically what a couch is stuffed with.IMG_0112.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Have everything on order, other than stator, which replaced with a new aftermarket one while the motor was out.

Get a lot of conflicting info on running Klotz, but appreciate the input.

Again, appreciate everyone's help. Once we get it fixed and do a video on this machince, this site will be linked. Several million views Everything ATV-UTV-Reviews

Trust me, I love Klotz and use it in my superjets but Klotz is a TCW-3 oil and your ski requires API-TC. Really no debate, it isn't the correct oil for your ski.
Since you are running a 720 GTI there is really no reason to spend the money on expensive oil for it. I would suggest Seadoo XPS Mineral 2T, Lucas 2-cycle Semi Synthetic or Mystic JT4.
Use only this Lucas.....
81BMR3w712L._AC_SY450_.jpg

Mikidymac, thanks for the advice on the oil. Probably 6 gallon in on the Klotz, what's your suggestion on switching over? Drain tank or would it be okay to mix the two? I'll be going with Lucas because it's handily available here.

Update: Made another run at the lake today after fixing the guage wiring mess and reinstalling what may be a defective voltage regulator. Again had to feather the throttle to get it to half throttle and from 1/2 to WOT it ran great, no blown 5 amp fuses. Going to wait on the new voltage regulator before doing anything else. Battery warning light was still on, although it's been on since I've owned it. If we unplug the red wire from the voltage regulator (as another post suggests) will it harm anything to ride it this way for awhile though it will not be charging the battery? Any suggestions on where to get an MPED board?

Try 1/8 turn to the right (open) for each low speed adjustment. Run it for a long time before making any more adjustments. Adjust the idle with the idle adjust screw on the mag carb. Pull the spark plugs and observe per the service manual. My 717 runs best at 1-1/2 turns from closed on the low speed adjustments.

Dont mix oils. Must be api-tc. I use the xps 2t. I buy it off amazon for $20 cheaper than 1 mile down the street. I use oil injection. i use about 2 tanks of oil in summer

Last edited:
As an old chain saw guy part of your problem might be your fuel mixture. Too much oil in the fuel will make the engine not rev like it should. I'd run 50:1 before I'd run 32:1. Guaranteed issues. A chain saw will teach a lot about two stroke engines. :) You notice instantly the result of too much or too little oil Crank it up, give it the gas and by the response you might say, "Did you put oil in the mixture?" LOL 32:1 is a lot of oil. Good Luck.

Ive always thought of these engines like chain saws (85 hp chainsaws). They are very different from the two stroke outboards i have worked on. But that’s a good analogy. Contrary to popular opinion, i do take care to use the correct oil. At 32:1, you should be smoking the neighbors out of their home. Pull your plugs and inspect. White ashy (lean), chocolaty (correct), wet, fouled, black, or sooty (rich).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back