Found water on spark plugs after winterizing 951 GTX carb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sticknrudder

I just finished winterizing my 2001 GTX and I pulled the plugs to spray fogging oil in the cylinders to find water on the plugs. Did I do something wrong when I winterized? I wish I had checked the plugs before pouring antifreeze in the head. The way I winterized it was pinched the outflow hose at the bottom off the engine and gravity fed anti freeze into the water inlet on the head. I did this until antifreeze came out of the exhaust. I never started it. Anything I did wrong?

Thanks

Yes, you can never put water or antifreeze into these engine with the engine off as it will get into the engine.

You need to get it running to burn out all the water and running on the lake is the only sure fire way to be sure the water is out.

Wow, I never would’ve thought. I guess that’s good news though. On a side note I still haven’t changed out the gray fuel lines. The last few times I’ve run it after it’s warm it starts cutting out at higher RPM. I guess it’s probably running lean? Do you think I’ve damaged it running it that way? Is that going to damage it if I run it one more time? I attached a photo of one of the wet plugs. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 25E9F0AB-ADA2-4B89-A1D2-04A2BC5A3877.jpeg
    25E9F0AB-ADA2-4B89-A1D2-04A2BC5A3877.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 14
It could but sitting with water in it is even worse.

Just avoid going wide open.

I'm kinda curious about this winterizing. Other than the cylinders and the water box where would there be a need for anti-freeze?

Yes I kind of wonder that too. After pouring a gallon of antifreeze through, all that seemed to be in the cylinders was more of condensation amount of water. Also didn’t look or smell like antifreeze.

951's in particular will get bad condensation even if you do everything correct. This is why it is very important to fog a 951 after every ride in my opinion.
It is also a good idea to start dry and rev the engine a few times after installing antifreeze or even flushing on the hose to try and blow out as much liquid from the engine as possible.

For antifreeze, the only thing I have ever seen crack from freezing are cylinders.

Great thanks for the info! I think I will go start it a couple times for 10 seconds at a time and blow some out. Also will use WD40 to displace any water

Yes, you can never put water or antifreeze into these engine with the engine off as it will get into the engine.

You need to get it running to burn out all the water and running on the lake is the only sure fire way to be sure the water is out.

Ok, I just want to make sure I’m following this. The manual says to plug the outlet on the bottom of the engine, disconnect the water inlet, and pour antifreeze/water mix into the engine outlet until it comes out the exhaust. You’re saying don’t do this?

My Doo is stored in a garage next to a Yamaha Twin Jetboat. I don’t have to do anything to the Yamaha to winterize it other than fog it. Is it the same for the Seadoo, even though the manual,says differently?

I have a 99 GTX Ltd with a 951 carbed.

Thanks,
Ken

The step missing is that the engine needs to be running when you add anything to the cooling system.

The Seadoo 2-strokes have a wet exhaust that is connected to the cooling system. So without the exhaust gases coming out of the exhaust ports the fluid can back flow into the cylinders and crankcase through the exhaust ports.

It’s a 2-stroke thing [emoji16]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back