Flywheel question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaP

Hi ,
I am having a real problem reinstalling the flywheel on
the magneto shaft. I am happy to be learning some of
the terms. Do I need a special tool for this? From all
I can find, nothing is very explicit. Also, is the procedure
to first install the flywheel then the key? Please help.
I am getting closer to getting this motor in the boat.
Many thanks again,
LindaP

Key....

Your pretty much there. Make sure the groove for your key is really clean. When you put it in, tap it litely with the wooden end of your hammer, to make sure it's seated. I usually cant it to the side I'm working my flywheel onto. That way, the keyed area of the flwheel will be more accepting to the shaft.
Once you get it started, you can tap it with a rubber mallet to you can get your bolt started, then, pull it up tight...........
DOnt' over think it.........it's as simple as you see it........but cleanliness is really the best way to get it right........:cheers:

:agree: Skatman is right on the money...To add to this I take the woodruff key and check it for fit prior to installing it. I slide it on the shaft and in the slot in the flywheel to be sure it is the correct one and not mushroomed or the wrong size. If it slides in both areas it should fit together on installation.

Karl

Your pretty much there. Make sure the groove for your key is really clean. When you put it in, tap it litely with the wooden end of your hammer, to make sure it's seated. I usually cant it to the side I'm working my flywheel onto. That way, the keyed area of the flwheel will be more accepting to the shaft.
Once you get it started, you can tap it with a rubber mallet to you can get your bolt started, then, pull it up tight...........
DOnt' over think it.........it's as simple as you see it........but cleanliness is really the best way to get it right........:cheers:
correct me if I am wrong but I believe that what Skatman means is that he slants or tilts the the flywheel key a very little bit to make the flywheel slide onto the shaft and key easier. If it is tilted just a little in the wrong way it may make it hard to slide flywheel on. :cheers:

Correct Robin...by sliding it on both parts separately allows the woodruff key to be installed in the correct position.

Karl

Slanted....

Yes Robin, with the key at a noticable slant, you'll know that your not going to catch the edge on the key as you try to put it on. The key will str8n itself out as it's being pulled down.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back