Fixing up the Wifes 1996 GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

emspjay

So going to fix up the Wife's 1996 GTX since my 1995 XP800 came out so well. So back story on this GTX, I purchased it June 2016, it sat outside in MI weather uncovered and unused for 2 years, I brought a new battery with me when I went to look at it, put the battery in and it fired up so I purchased it for a great price. Took it home cleaned and buffed the outside, put on new seat cover, rebuilt carbs and new fuel lines, pump oil, etc, and have used it for the last 4 summers, only replacing the rectifier (knock on wood). I never cleaned the inside of it, the inside still looks as bad as the outside did when I got it until I started cleaning and working on it today. It needs a wear ring, fix gas gauge, multi function gauge screen, and lots of cosmetic work. It will be a custom job with some paint and I got Mike at PWCgraphics working on some custom decals for it. So today pulled it off the dock onto the trailer, did 3 rounds of Super Clean but it is still pretty dirty on the inside, removed all decals, removed the factory mats (found that lacquer thinner works well for removing the adhesive from the factory mats). So some before and after pics of todays work.
DSCN5614.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5615.JPG
    DSCN5615.JPG
    496.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN5616.JPG
    DSCN5616.JPG
    514.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN5617.JPG
    DSCN5617.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN5618.JPG
    DSCN5618.JPG
    478.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN5619.JPG
    DSCN5619.JPG
    493.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN5620.JPG
    DSCN5620.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN5621.JPG
    DSCN5621.JPG
    475.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN5622.JPG
    DSCN5622.JPG
    486.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN5623.JPG
    DSCN5623.JPG
    495.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
DSCN5624.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5625.JPG
    DSCN5625.JPG
    467.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN5626.JPG
    DSCN5626.JPG
    507.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN5627.JPG
    DSCN5627.JPG
    522.2 KB · Views: 37
Nice job of stripping the graphics and polishing the hull. What kind of polish did you use? Anxious to see it once it's finished.

Nice job of stripping the graphics and polishing the hull. What kind of polish did you use? Anxious to see it once it's finished.
Thanks! I just stripped the decals so far did not do any polishing yet, my camera did not pick that up good. There is a lot of fading where there was no decals. I will be wet sanding then polishing in the next few days. But after I wet sand I use 3M Products and Fountain of Youth Products on my boats and Doo's

How’s the lacquer work for peeling off the pads? I’ve gotten most of mine off with the heat gun but need something a little more heavy duty to clean the residue out of the footwells. Project looks like it’s coming along great!

I seen that thread... the only issue I see is the footwells on the 96 are textured so I can’t get the tool in there. I initially was sanding off the adhesive but it kind of a pain, I think I’ll try the thinner on top and just see if I can get most of it off.

Right on, I would try the thinner. The 1996 GTX has 3 rubber pads glued down in the rear, the rest of the footwell is the textured non-skid like your XP. The area underneath those back 3 pads is smooth so that allowed for quick clean up of adhesive using the putty knife and the thinner. I have not removed Blacktip or Hydro-turf before.

Got the white wet sanded and polished, came out pretty good didn't get very aggressive with the sanding. Got the pump removed, it had a little cavitation on take off last year and figured it was the wear ring, wear ring looks decent but had a bunch of weeds on the driveshaft. Going to put on the new wear ring anyways since it's apart. Also got it off the trailer and on the work stand.
IMG_0965.JPGIMG_0966.JPGIMG_0967.JPGIMG_0968.JPG

So got some stuff done today, gauges out (to fix MFG display), fuel gauge fixed, that was the float in the sender and not the F1 fuse, handlebar pad taken off to paint and put on new vinyl on the chin pad. For right now going to focus on the fix for the MFG, the other stuff I will get pics for later. So I purchased the OSD fix for the MFG and it is worth every penny! Got the gauge apart, carefully removed the old polarized film with a razor blade, then took about 3 rounds of Goo Gone and being careful removing all the rest of the adhesive, then put on the new polarized film, looks like I got a piece of dust under the new film in one spot but who cares since now the gauge will be readable!
DSCN5667.JPGDSCN5668.JPGDSCN5669.JPGDSCN5670.JPGDSCN5671.JPGDSCN5672.JPGDSCN5673.JPG

Got the new seat cover on, white with black carbon. I absolutely hate putting on these covers, this one came out decent but not perfect.
DSCN5674.JPGDSCN5675.JPGDSCN5676.JPG

So got a bunch done and I was holding out for this surprise! I changed the color! It is paint and not gel, and it's a hack job but still looks good. We don't beach this thing and the only time it's on the trailer is to bring it from the backyard dock to the garage for maintenance. I didn't fix any imperfections, I just scuffed it up good and cleaned and de-grease it good before painting. I purchased some clear vinyl wrap to put on the sides of the hull to protect that paint from the my hoist slings, and will put some on the top of the hood and mirrors to protect those areas from cover scuffs.
Also got the handlebar cover painted satin black, new carbon chin pad, new start button, new grips , and a bunch of reassembly done. Just need to rebuild the jet pump, put new mats down and waiting for my new decals from PWCGraphics.
IMG_0977.JPGIMG_0978.JPGIMG_0979.JPG

Now THAT is a FINE Piece of work! Nice work on that guage too.....they can be a real PITA, but worth the tribulations obviously! Crack on!!!!

Well it's not completely done (still waiting on my new decals). But weather was great!! So put some cheap registration decals on the GTX, and then rode both the GTX and XP800 for the first ride of the season and they both ran great!!
IMG_0980.JPG

Oh and a side note, this was the first time I was actually able to read the gauge. When I scrolled through and got to the Hours it just was a dotted line?? I was hoping to see how many hours are on this thing, is that a normal glitch or did somebody do something to the MPEM years ago that would not show the hours on the machine?

You literally have the exact two boats I want. I've got the GTX, now have to convince the wife to let me have a 95 XP800... :)

That's a gorgeous job you did on the GTX. I wasn't sold on the color at first, but the decals really bring it together with the seats and make it look fantastic.

You literally have the exact two boats I want. I've got the GTX, now have to convince the wife to let me have a 95 XP800... :)

That's a gorgeous job you did on the GTX. I wasn't sold on the color at first, but the decals really bring it together with the seats and make it look fantastic.
Thank you! Yep the wife picked the color and the decals really do make it pop now! Go get an X4 you will love it they are a blast to ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back