First time in the water this year and wont go over 5mph.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilabez0

Bought it last year 2000 GTX 951. Went through the entire machine. Replaced all the fuel lines, rebuilt the carbs, new oil tank, new fuel filter. It was running great on the trailer when I was done in October. My dad put like 10 gallons of 93 octane in it with some seafoam and star tron and put it away for the winter after fogging. He started and ran it on the trailer and said after the fogging oil burned off it ran fine. He put it in the water and it wouldn't go over 5mph without bogging out. I havent been to the lake to look at it but he's putting new plugs in tomorrow when he goes. Any ideas on things to check? Seemed to run fine when put away although it was only run on a trailer. I didn't want to leave fuel in it over the winter but he insisted. It was stored covered in a heated garage.

I wouldn't use Seafoam in it but that's not your problem.
I would say something is wrong with the fuel system or carbs. Are you sure the hoses are in their correct spot. Are you sure you rebuilt the carbs correctly using only genuine Mikuni parts?

yes i used only genuine mikuni carbs. I remember last year you helped me with a lot of questions I had. What lines could possible be mixed up that it ran fine on the trailer but not in the water?

First you need to explain what is really happening...
Is the engine Rpm really high and only getting 5mph. Or the engine never gets to high rpms???

If it's getting high rpm with no thrust it's CAVITATING... you have to check driveshaft seal and jetpump wearing AND impeller.

If it's not reaching high rpms in water it's a fuel related issue.

Or worst case scenario it's something electric...
Stator
Rectifier
Timing ignition coil

Good luck!
Post back!!!!

According to my dad as soon as he gave it any throttle it would just bog out and die. So he could only barely putt it across the entire lake to our mooring. Fouled plugs maybe? All the small engine work I've done over the years I would assume it needs a carb cleaning. I told him not to store it with fuel in it. As if taking the carbs off wasn't a pain in the ass in itself now I'll probably have to do it standing in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will want to do this if the accelerator pump circuit is not functioning properly. Try pumping the throttle in slow increments to get past big. If it clears and goes, this could be your problem.

Did you take the a-pump apart and clean when doing the carbs? Also did you clean the a-pump nozzles in the carbs to make sure they are clear and not clogged?

i think i took the accelerator pump apart i really dont remember though. So it sounds like the carbs and accelerator pump have to come off. I have no idea what the accelerator pump nozzles look like. I'll have to go back and read my old posts.

just watched a youtube video. So it's actually like needle jets sticking into the carb body. anyway to check the function of those?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just having the same problem with my wife's ski and thanks to all the great suggestion from guy's on here I got it figured out. Unfortunately it did involve pulling the carbs out again. When you rebuilt your carbs did you check pop off pressure. Also if you did the test did the carbs hold pressure. This is where all my problems were at. A combination of low pop off pressure and air leaks on the pump side of both carbs. If your carbs won't hold pressure then they will suck air from wherever they leak

Have you checked the throttle cable? We had an issue with our 1997 Seadoo GSX not going over 5 mph but once I got on it and played around with the throttle cable, I realized there was a small piece up inside that had snapped.

I checked the pop off pressure and it was good. The rebuild kit actually came with incorrect springs so I had to put the old ones back in to get the right pop off pressure. It was a genuine mikuni carb kit too. I will check the throttle cable. Unless the carb kit came with an accelerator pump diaphragm then no I didn't replace it. I do believe I took it apart and cleaned it though.

i think i took the accelerator pump apart i really dont remember though. So it sounds like the carbs and accelerator pump have to come off. I have no idea what the accelerator pump nozzles look like. I'll have to go back and read my old posts.

just watched a youtube video. So it's actually like needle jets sticking into the carb body. anyway to check the function of those?

Take air box off the carbs. Using a mirror look down the throats of the carbs as you squeeze the throttle. You should see a stream of fuel come out of both nozzles when you squeeze the throttle.

Actually once you have the airbox off you can just feel for the nozzle, then work the throttle a couple of times and see if it wets your finger. You can also get the engine warm, cut the ski off and work the throttle 20-30 times, then try starting it back up, if it starts without having to hold the throttle wide open the accell pumps are not working.

One more thing when you winterize skis with accell pumps it is important to run the ski long enough to get the stabilizer into the carbs but you also need to work the throttle so you get the treated fuel into the accell pump system and expel any untreated fuel, the nozzles contain spring loaded check valve which can stop up quite easily.

Can be done either way. I like doing it while running but if you check it without running, run it for about a minute before to make sure the fuel system is primed and full.

How would you do it without running? You're telling me pumping the throttle while not running will spray gas into the carb through the a pump nozzle???

Only going 5mph at full throttle isn't your accelerator pump. You have something else major wrong.

When mine wasn't working it would have a big flat spot off idle but you could feather the throttle and easily get past it for great full throttle runs.

Only going 5mph at full throttle isn't your accelerator pump. You have something else major wrong.

When mine wasn't working it would have a big flat spot off idle but you could feather the throttle and easily get past it for great full throttle runs.

I didn't catch that his issue was only 5 mph at full throttle. If that is the case, different story.

Lol that is not the case. As soon as you give it throttle it bogs out and dies. Full throttle would kill it. It will only go 5mph because you can not give it any throttle without bogging out.

No. Like I said earlier mine was easy to get past the flat spot when the accelerator pump was not working and would run fine all the way to 60mph.

If your compression is good you have something wrong with the fuel system. You could also have bad reeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back