Extended Ride Plate Vs. Smart Tabs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Utopia 185 that I just got running well and am trying to get it to handle our choppy bay water better. Looking through the forums, I just ordered a set of SX9510-80 smart tabs to install for this weekends trip. My question is would I benefit from an extended ride plate as well as a set of Smart tabs, or is it an one or the other kind of thing?

I have Smart Tabs on our Islandia and was amazed by the difference they made!

Only porpoise when crossing multiple wakes but it stops after a few times, can stay on plane at slower speeds, gets on plane quicker.

Very easy to install

Yeah, this totally changes the way the boat handles. Its crazy how small they are and how big an effect they have. It almost feels unnatural getting up onto plane now. I don't think an extended ride plate will help too much more than these, I am just expecting too much from a small(er) jet boat on a bay.

i was just looking at the Smart Tabs website. It was suggesting the 60 lbs units for my Utopia 205. (20’ @ 3500lbs)

What lead you to the 80 lbs? Do you think the 60 would be enough?

MK

The 60 may be enough. I went with the 80 because that is what another member had. Honestly, after I got the tabs and saw the installation guide, with our hull set up, I think it would've made more sense to go with the metal tabs instead of the plastic ones, but these seem to work fine for me.

I was worried about them being plastic on our Islandia but after having them on for a year and using them just in calm water to rough river water and ocean I love them. They work awesome!

Honestly, after I got the tabs and saw the installation guide, with our hull set up, I think it would've made more sense to go with the metal tabs instead of the plastic

Are you referring to the mounting style of for the top of the shock on the original Smart Tab would work better compared to the SX versions design/layout? or just the strenght of metal vs. plastic?

I appreciate the feedback.

MK

I was worried about them being plastic on our Islandia but after having them on for a year and using them just in calm water to rough river water and ocean I love them. They work awesome!

Do you have a picture of them on the back of your islandia? Was looking where I should mount mine. THanks

These were taken right before I wet sanded the maroon and brought it back to life with a beautiful shine. Very easy to mount.
20180902_094821.jpg20180902_094826.jpg20180902_094834.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back