Engine modifications?

Engine modifications?

• Are you happy with the speed and horsepower of your 787cc.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Are you unhappy with the speed and horsepower of your 787cc

• Would you rather leave the engines power as is and modify the pump?

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Would you rather leave the pump as is and modify the engine?

• Would you like to do a little of both, engine and pump?

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Do you think the 587 and 657 are worth the money to mod?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoosnipe

Premium Member
Premium Member
In a recent reponse to a member, about doing modifications to your 787, or any engine for that matter, I think he might have made one good point.

Let the members decide!

I, or any other moderator here, is not going to be responsible for you or help you modify your engine for one reason. We offer you assistance to help you when your motor or pump has broken and you want to fix it. By using our years of experience and our shop manuals, it's most times fairly easy to find your fix. If you modify, we have no record of what you did, what the machine shop did, or any other details that will enable us to repair your motor. In giving you advice, we as staff, moderators of this forum feel a direct responsibility to you, that we've given you accurate info in fixing your machine. We cannot deviate from OEM or we put our reputation on the line for causing your motor to fail. That's the basic reason, we all stay within the guidelines BRP set out in their shop manuals. To make sure we help, not hinder.

So, in short, if you decide you want to try a modification to your engine, feel free. If you have the money, then do it. Remember, like any high performance engine, it's a balancing act between having the right flow of fuel, in jetting, the right restriction to create manifold pressure (vacuum), the right flow of exhaust and the correct amount of cooling water to keep things cooled off, since running a higher performanced engine, builds higher amounts of heat and stress.

I would recommend you don't go as far as using race gas or expensive octane boosters. Gas is expensive enough. It cost me an easy $30 bucks a day just to power my GTX while tubing with the family.

The last and most important thing I'd ask.... Make sure, if you want to think about this, get very informed advice from one of our forum's most experienced mechanics. You will know who they are by their reputation levels you see in their avatar.

If I were going to do this, I know I'd be asking questions from PWCdoc, Dr.Honda and Chester, just to name a few off the top of my head. These guys I've worked with, read their repsonses and found that their experience level in some areas greater than my own. I'm an honest man and not afraid or ashamed to admit when I meet someone with a higher level of experience than myself. I'm very leary of "know-it-alls". I enjoy it because it gives me the chance to again, learn something new. From the 3 mechanics I've listed above, I've already learned something new and now, put that information to use in my day to day resources.

At 50, I started lapping in valves of my B&S 5 horsepower lawnmower engines when I was somewhere around 8. I worked in my uncles automotive shop for many years. He had a complete engine rebuild shop with all the equipment needed to build a stock or race engine. A lot of my on hands training, I attribute to my uncle (by the way, Chevy were our engines of choice). I then joined the military and continued my engieering studies and work, many schools in hydraulics, turbines (steam and gas), pumps, valves, compressors, diesel engines, oil purification systems and a BA in computer science.

I have a 787 right now, on my work bench that I am building from the bottom up. It's the same engine that you guys have seen in my "a look inside the 787" thread. It's not just my spare engine but I hope to squeeze a few more ponies out of it, with some light modifications. It will be my first full build of a Rotax, that I plan to play with.

Please, ....Please.... I can't say this strongly enough. Do not listen to just any joe who comes in and says he knows this or that. This is a forum. I could tell you guys that I fly 747's for Delta and you'd never know the difference. Be sure, you seek advice on doing anything out of the forums norm, from someone you trust or who shows signs of being highly qualified before you blow upwards of a thousand bucks to pump up these engines.

Chester, PWCdoc, DrHonda...... I hope I didn't put you guys on the spot and are going to get a host of people hollering at ya'll for advice. If someone wants to mod, I might throw in my two cents but will never say that if you follow my advice and build a hot motor, that when you are out playing with it, it won't sling a rod. Building these kinds of toys, that's always the risk you take.......

How do you feel about it, ... would you like more information on how to pump up your motor?..... I'm setting a poll, cast your vote!:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back