Engine Harness wire - Wire getting very HOT

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attilio

I am seeking for help with an engine harness wire that is getting extremely hot. The wires already changed the color from bright yellow to dark brown.
I have no idea what this wire is or what it does, what the problem is nor what I should do to fix the problem.
If I ran the engine for a few minutes I cannot even touch the wire as it gets VERY HOT. I believe this is not normal. All help is appreciated. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
That’s you charging circuit
Check the 30 amp fuse and check the voltage across the battery with engine running
Disconnect that connector and check the contact are clean
This is one of the most common wiring problems I have seen on a lot of fairly old 4 tecs

Awesome. I will buy the device to check the voltage. I will get back after I check to what you are recommending. Thanks a lot, that is already really helpful. :). I will get back with details.

Hello Gazza, all checked. the 30 amp fuse, battery and all connectors looks to be very clean. When engine running, battery reads 14.48 and when stopped, battery is at 12.68. I found a small hole on the air intake (plastic black box, same where the regulator is installed)... I am wondering if that would be causing the air to blow out and not go 100% to the engine... the hole was about a size a US quarter. What do you think? also, based on the picture that I posted, do you think that I should replace the cable?

The hole in the intake hose sounds like that’s were the engine ventilation hose should go
What jet ski year and model
For the harness I wouldn’t do anything at this stage I have seen some people cut the connectors off and put inline crimps on
Is it getting hot when the ski hasn’t run fir a long time as that is when it’ll be charging the battery
Confirm you also have the correct battery instalked

I’ll check the voltage in the manual as that seems pretty high

let me correct myself: the hole that I found is on the Air Silencer Lower Shell. I placed some tape on it and now the "quarter size" hole is closed.
I have the battery plugged in at all times on the charger. Yes, the wire gets hot after ~12/15 minutes and the wire only gets hot in one side of the connector (as you can see the pic on my first post), which now makes me think that the connector might be the issue/failure? does it make sense?
the battery installed is a Interstate Marine battery and spec as recommended.
This is a 2003 Sportster 4TEC 155hp

Ok charging voltage max is 14.5 +\- 5
If the battery is in poor condition it will be drawing more amps which obviously causes heat
You could remove the connector and cut wires back and recriminations new pins on but as it’s a special tools job best get dealer to do it or somebody with the correct crimping tool

You can also check the amp draw using a clamp type meter
Manual says you may get up to 10 A being drawn until battery is charged

I would get your battery load tested to see the physical condition internally as this increases current draw over a longer period

You can also check the amp draw using a clamp type meter. Manual says you may get up to 10 A being drawn until battery is charged

1. This is my concern when adding a second battery to my boat. How do you keep two batteries from over drawing from the charging circuit?

2. If we replace the over heated OEM connectors with bullet connectors that can handle the amperage, will some other component of the charging circuit be the one to get hot?

As Jpass says splice in a new connector
If you batteries are charged and in good condition you should be ok
What’s the reason for adding a second battery ?

You migh have a shorted voltage regulator, that plug is very famous for corroding
and shorting out on my 2010 gtx I got rid of the plug and use but connectors
you don’t have to worry about which wire goes where I had the same problem
do to a shorted voltage regulator if that is your problem stay away from those cheap voltage regulators try to go oem

Follow your shop manual and test the charging system. You need a new voltage regulator or stator.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back