Electrical problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTRooi

Hi guys,

I'm New to this page. So let me welcome myself by posting my first thread.

I have a 2011 sea doo rxt rs 260.
Last week sunday I went for an ride. It was running fine without any issues. This was until I pulled out the key for a while so I can sit and relax and enjoy the view etc.

After about 10 min, I reconnected the key, went to push the start button and what happens? As I push it the gauge light come on, but as soon as I release the button, they turn back off. Tried this a few times, but same issue.

After a while while keep trying, now there are no lights coming on at all when I push the button. Completely dead.

I checked and replaced the relay, but no luck.
I checked all the fuses, still no luck
I even tried to touch the starter + and - contact with a plyer, but it won't even spark or nothing.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Help me out

First step with electrical issues is to make sure your battery is good. Sounds like in the ten minutes that you had the ski shut down the battery dropped below the necessary volts for a restart.

If that doesn't help, any idea what else I could try?

Every how many should I slow charge the battery for it to keep running like supose to??

Depends on battery condition. Do you have a volt meter to check battery voltage? Also do not attempt to charge battery when it’s connected to your skis electronics.

If it’s older than 3 or 4 years it should be load tested to a minimum 10.5 Vdc. A static voltage test minimum voltage 12.6 Vdc. If it’s dead charge for 1 amp for 12 hours. Top charge 2 amps for 3 to 5 hours then let it rest 2 hours and it should then have a static voltage minimum of the 12.6

Get a good battery installed and troubleshoot from there.

Last edited:
I figured out what was the problem... it was the positive cable that goes from the pulley to the starter connection. It got rusted and broke. So I will be buying that cable during this week.

This happened probably because of the saltwater we have in our country.

Attachments

• 20181013_144148.jpg
    20181013_144148.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20181013_144148.jpg
    20181013_144148.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
[emoji736] Good find, I’m a freshwater guy with a 2011. Amazing what an electrical load combined with salt water can do to a copper wire in 7 years and your ski looks clean otherwise. Mine has a rubber boot covering the positive battery anode did yours? Looks like the black wire going to the positive is a mod and the boot was possibly discarded.
Also while your there the black purple wire coming out of the right side bundle could use a little attention.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of replacing the whole harness. Just to avoid any other issues. Because it was all like that when I bought it. I bought it second hand.

[emoji736] Good find, I’m a freshwater guy with a 2011. Amazing what an electrical load combined with salt water can do to a copper wire in 7 years and your ski looks clean otherwise. Mine has a rubber boot covering the positive battery anode did yours? Looks like the black wire going to the positive is a mod and the boot was possibly discarded.
Also while your there the black purple wire coming out of the right side bundle could use a little attention.

The blackwire is exually for my leds. I've installed them for when driving at night. On the pics in the attachments, you can see my ride and also how it looks at night with the leds on

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1539537746127.jpg
    FB_IMG_1539537746127.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20181006_183059.jpg
    20181006_183059.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back