Electric motor sound from engine compartment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Dudes

I have a 2001 Sea Doo Speedster 240. I hear a very slight electric motor sound which sounds like the sump pump coming from the engine compartment. I pulled the sump pump fuse from the panel in front of the dashboard and shut off the battery rotary dial but I still hear the sound of what sounds like the sump pump. Is there something else that would sound like a pump in the engine compartment but is not the sump pump? By pulling the sump pump fuse, I am guessing it should shut off the pump (if that is what I am hearing). I know it is not the blower as I can turn that off and on.

Thank you in advance

Its the Mercury 240. I don't think its the fuel pump for one reason but just a little history on this. Originally when I bought the boat, the 12VDC outlet and radio did not work even though the fuses behind the dash on electrical panel were all good. Another member of this forum correctly identified the problem as a blown fuse that was found behind the rotary battery switch on the starboard side of the engine compartment.

I replaced the fuse and the 12VDCI outlet and radio started working but then this new noise popped up.....and I can't shut if off unless I pull that fuse which also kills the radio and the 12 VDC outlet. Therefore, I don't think its the fuel pump because the boat ran fine before I replaced that fuse and if the fuel pump was on that circuit with the previously blown fuse, the engine would not run.

Thanks in advance

It could be your bilge pump. (sump pump) In the merc powered Seadoo boats, there is a "Automatic" side to the pumps... and it's wired to the back side of the battery switch... on the battery side. SO... even if you flip the switch to off... it can still get power.

So... reach down... and feel the pump to see if it's running. If it is... and it's the original, you will need to pop it out of the holder, and clean the float switch inside.

If you just want it to stop running... put you head in behind the battery switch, and you will see some fuses in "In-line" holders. THe one marked 7.5a is the automatic bilge power.

(FYI: this is not how they are wired in the Rotax boats)

It could be your bilge pump. (sump pump) In the merc powered Seadoo boats, there is a "Automatic" side to the pumps... and it's wired to the back side of the battery switch... on the battery side. SO... even if you flip the switch to off... it can still get power.

So... reach down... and feel the pump to see if it's running. If it is... and it's the original, you will need to pop it out of the holder, and clean the float switch inside.

If you just want it to stop running... put you head in behind the battery switch, and you will see some fuses in "In-line" holders. THe one marked 7.5a is the automatic bilge power.

(FYI: this is not how they are wired in the Rotax boats)

Dr. Honda,

I think you are dead on again. I don't know if I can reach the pump but what you are saying sounds right because there is lots of debris down by the pump and my guess is the float is being held up and running the pump. If I pull the 7.5, it does kill the sound. If I can reach down that far, do I just pull up on it? Is it screwed down? Hopefully if I direct some high pressure water down that way, it will clean that out and make my problem go away.

Thanks

Yep... that may do it.

I would spray it with "Super clean" and then use a garden hose... and keep your fingers crossed.

But... the original pump was held down with pop-rivets. BUT... only the blue bottom cage. If you look on the sides... there are tabs. If you squeeze them... the body of the pump will come out.

If it's the oval shaped pump... there is a float. (2 screws in the belly, and you can get to it) If it's a round body... then it may just need to be replaced. The round one would "Sense" the water, using the load on the motor. So... if there's no water, and it thinks the load is high... then the seals may have given out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back