Easy C clip install

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dman142

After fighting the battle Of the C clip install, it took 3 days of trying and brainstorming to figure out how to make a tool, 2x4s, crow bars, etc and not being able to get the clip on. Read all the posts on how to do it etc.

So after near defeat, it finally came to me and it was so easy.
No extra set of hands, no prying, nothing.

I took the carbon seal boot and wrapped 4 zip ties through it and tightened them down compressing the boot. The boot will fit on the ski no problem. I then put 2 nuts about a total of about 3/4” long in the pump to hold the driveshaft in place. Slide the driveshaft in and I had a full 1/2” of shaft and clip groove visible.

Put the C clip in place, and cut off the zip ties from the boot and pull out.

So at the end of hours of failure, it was 4 zip ties and 2 nuts.
Maybe it’s been done this way before, but I didn’t find it. Kinda proud of myself.

Attachments

• 082B0EB1-866D-4744-8338-4129BE4868F9.jpeg
    082B0EB1-866D-4744-8338-4129BE4868F9.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 61
Great move,,,can't wait to try it,,,how about a homemade trick to pull back the bellow while it is in the boat!

To be perfectly honest, I tried like hell to pry the top hat back with multiple tools for days. I could have probably got one of the tools to work with another set of hands to knock the C clip off. The nuts in the impeller would have helped immensely in the effort but didn’t try it.

Within about 15 careful minutes with the angle grinder, it was all over trying to get everything out. I cut both boots with a new carpet knife to get them out of the way. The motor side bearing race seized on the driveshaft too. Cut that off also.

For the cost of the carbon seal kit, motor side boot and bearing, it was still cheaper than the tool and everything is new again down there. For a guy like myself, not knowing how long I’ll even own the GTX, I’d hate to buy the tool and use it once. Cut the boot off and spend the money on a new kit that includes the boot and you won’t ever need the tool. Easy as that. That’s how to get them off.

I am pumped that may have come up with a trick to help others in the situation. I don’t usually contribute new and improved methods of doing something. This way should save days of aggravation to the backyard mechanic. It sure did for me.

The only reason I thought about doing it this way was the fact that with some electric motors that used brushes and springs, I use either strips of duct tape or fishing line to compress the brushes in place when sliding the motor back together.

Last edited:
I couldn't slide my boot back and it turned out the carbon seal hat was too tight on the new driveshaft. Took it all out, pounded it on then took it off and that was enough to let it slide. When reinstalled in the boat the bellow pushed back easily. No amount of compression would have gotten me to the c clip grove the first time. I love the zip tie idea though...will remember that.

Nothing moved on mine either. I cut it all off with my angle grinder. I was putting massive leverage on it like you. It wasn’t going to move. Heck, the front boot also seized on the driveshaft. The bearing race was not moving so that got cut off too. I had to compress the new boot quite a bit to install the C clip. Worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back