Drive Shaft Boot Missing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
:/ It says Skat-Trak USA 14.5-22.5

Welp, there's your problem. And the genius who got this impeller, and installed it, just decided "Oh, dis don't fit, gues don't need it" and through away the boot. No wonder why it wasn't on there.

Freaking crazy.

Lesson learned. Don’t assume it’s the same shape.

I went down to the local shop and they gave me this.
image.jpg

I'm sorry I don't come here more often. I just read this whole thread and on the first page I would have told you that you cannot use an OEM impe
I'm sorry I don't come here more often. I just read this whole thread and on the first page, I would have told you that you cannot use an OEM impeller boot on a Skat-Trak impeller. You need one from Scat-Trak. Also, I ALWAYS pressure test the pump at 10 psi and about 1 in 30 fail this test. It will tell you if you pinched the o-ring upon installation. It also checks the integrity of the seal.

Chester

Chester

No problem Chester but thanks for the reply. I started to think I was loosing my mind lol

In the last picture I posted, does this look like an appropriate boot for the skat trak? It’s one piece.

Done for now before I throw something through the wall lol pump is on. Not sure if the seal is good but I’m sure it won’t leak.698D12C1-046C-4076-825F-CC329DBCDC23.jpeg4138F192-C077-44A1-A8A4-B7D6770AF355.jpeg

Carbon bearing, bellow and hat all in place as well. Just need to put the clip in later. Getting close.

Ok sounds good. I think I’m going to ride it the remainder of the season then pull the pump over the winter. Right now it seems as though the impeller and shaft aren’t bad. I think the toughest part is going to be removing the pump though. The previous person glued that thing on there like there was no tomorrow. It’s not going to be fun.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
T H I S

Shoulda waited. Lol, I know that's wrong on so many levels. Hang in there. You're now a pro at the pump removal.

Ha ha I hear you man! But ya know it’s done now and with how the old wear ring looked the rest of the season will be more enjoyable. Plus the carrier did not look good. It very likely would have seized on the next outing even though I put a few pumps of grease. It had no grease and sounds very worn / grinding and squeaky. I have the new HD carbon bearing and no more worry of seizing. That’s priceless.

Anyway, a little frustration and trial and error can go along way to boosting your understanding. I’ll look on the bright side Lol

Thanks again for the assistance along this journey

Is this too much compression on the boot? Or does it look installed properly.

It’s crazy to think that what keeps the water out is just the pressure from the rubber bellow pressing the two surfaces togetherCECC3477-39A9-4D72-82CE-68B1C17890CF.jpeg

Oh my lord noooooooooo!!

Welp I had it out on the lake and she ran 100% man does it move. No hesitation and idles and starts just fine after a stop. That new wear ring and carb rebuild made a huge difference! I was getting a good 45 but again I didn’t go too crazy because my sister was terrified lol 3/4 throttle and under.

But now I’m freaking out about this carbon bearing. Am I going to have to do this whole job again?

So, @racerxxx what are your thoughts man? It wasn't difficult to manually pull the bellow back far enough to install the C clip, I just did it with one hand to insert the clip. It didn't seem like it was terrible pressure. But I don't know enough about these carbon bearings. Will this cause the bearing to break? Do you think I need to replace the drive shaft? Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate it.

This is the carbon seal and bellow on my '96 Challenger. Your bellow definitely looks more compressed and the position of the SS hat looks to be further back on the drive shaftIMG_20190805_170332075.jpg

I’m getting a sinking feeling here.

I’ve already pulled and installed this pump like 5 times already because of that gasket debacle. 6th times a charm lol Say it ain’t so...

This new HD hat is larger to put more pressure on the bearing. Mine seems like it’s compressed about 1/4 inch more than yours.

If it doesn't feel like excessive pressure between the carbon seal and hat, I'd run it like it is and just keep an eye on it.

I’m not entirely sure how to gauge excessive pressure. I moved it into position with two hands and no tools, then held it with one hand to install the C clip with the other. I don’t think I’m a terribly strong person but is there some way to tell if it’s putting too much force? I just looked at it and it looks fine right now. I would imagine that it would take some serious stuff to tear the boot off. And the carbon seal gets cooled by the water and it’s mostly submerged so I would think it would remain cool. The only thing I would think and I could be totally wrong here, is that this would reduce the amount of time I could run it out of water. I’d only run it a max of 30 seconds anyhow. It may also cause premature wear but with how little difference from yours it would be inconsequential maybe?

Speaking of running out of water, after flushing the engine how long would you continue to run it with the hose off to purge the water? Do you run it a few seconds longer and rev the engine to get that water out?

Yeah, that's shaft is wrong. The clip should be forward more. But, you could try it.The HD ring is thicker buy either 1/8 or 3/16". So it will put more pressure. But it doesn't take much to pop a stock seal, yours would have to move a great deal to pop. Get your impeller shaft part number and Google and look on eBay. They might have swapped it just to use the carrier style.

Ain't it great when people have a better idea ad just throw random parts at it to see what sticks. Good times, [emoji106]

Here's my 98spx. You can see how close the ring is to the radius of the shaft. Yours is waaaay back.
45b7b184a1897069e25e72328516e009.jpg

Thanks @racerxxx so are you saying that mine still has plenty of play before it would cause trouble or are you saying it wouldn’t take much and I’m close to having that happen.

It would suck to have to pull the pump again but I’ll do what needs to happen for safety. And just consider it additional learning and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back