Drive shaft... Are the threads supposed to look like this?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

justlikefire

Hey all! Alicia here...I have a 2000 sea doo challenger with the twin rotax engines...717's I believe
..I am in the midst of rebuilding the jet pump and ordered a new impeller for the left engine. I have a question as to if I should be replacing my driveshaft as well. I would rather do it now than find out later on I need to take everything apart again. My question is regarding the threads on the end to the impeller....to me they look extremely odd in wear like it should be replaced but if I don't have to spend another $200 that'd be great . 🤣. Also the blue plastic "protection sleeve", it's broken...should I just remove it? I attached a photo of it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you .

Attachments

• 16914169836281502996616185581154.jpg
    16914169836281502996616185581154.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 16914170550073778763766088092342.jpg
    16914170550073778763766088092342.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 16914170760854045137938111356222.jpg
    16914170760854045137938111356222.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 16
The splines look ok (normal) to me. Looks like they have been without any grease for a while though. Make sure you grease them up and put a new seal on the impeller (should come with the impeller).

I personally pull my pump every year to add grease to the impeller since there is no grease fitting. Also gives me a chance to inspect the wear ring, pump housing and impeller more closely.

Yeah, you can just remove the shaft cover / protector. They tend to break and most people just remove what's left.

Spider4real, thank you, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. I will be sure to grease it up and also make sure I do this same service to my other engine. Appreciated!! 🙌🏼🙌🏼

The splines look ok (normal) to me. Looks like they have been without any grease for a while though. Make sure you grease them up and put a new seal on the impeller (should come with the impeller).

I personally pull my pump every year to add grease to the impeller since there is no grease fitting. Also gives me a chance to inspect the wear ring, pump housing and impeller more closely.

Yeah, you can just remove the shaft cover / protector. They tend to break and most people just remove what's left.
@Spider4real what grease are you using here? Is the grease type of utmost importance? Or can pretty much any high temperature grease be used?

1691444320668.pngThis is the last grease I bought. I got it at Canadian Tire but they don't have it anymore.

I decided to go with a marine grease since it resists water. In the past I used general purpose synthetic grease. So I have tried different types and brands and never had any issues.

I personally don't think the type is very critical. I figure any grease is better than no grease.

View attachment 63589This is the last grease I bought. I got it at Canadian Tire but they don't have it anymore.

I decided to go with a marine grease since it resists water. In the past I used general purpose synthetic grease. So I have tried different types and brands and never had any issues.

I personally don't think the type is very critical. I figure any grease is better than no grease.
Thank you spider

Spider4real, thank you, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. I will be sure to grease it up and also make sure I do this same service to my other engine. Appreciated!! 🙌🏼🙌🏼

On the grease type, make sure it is synthetic. A non-synthetic grease could cause rubber parts to swell such as those bumpers on the shaft ends.

The grease I have found that lasts the longest on the impeller splines is the Seadoo XPS Synthetic grease because I don't like to have to pull the pump every season.

Back