Down she went!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jqnj260

Newbie here, also new to pwc. I bought a used 2012 Rxtx with 109 hours recently. Had three great days riding her on bay waters, floated the pwc at night , tied to pier. Ran great each day, did not take on water, other than some rainwater as we had downpours regularly at night. Day four, out and running well again, noticed that a slight wine went away after an hour of riding. Started to porpoise, knew was taking on water and tried desperately to get her to shore. Nope. Stuttered, stopped and immediately rolled and knew I was in trouble. Was able to flag down another boat, hopped in and made calls to get my Doo towed in. Got it back to trailer, completely swamped the inside of hull with salt water. I pickled her within ten hours. Removed plugs, blew out water. Sprayed down cylinders. Sucked out oil(plenty of water) from dipstick. Opened all electrical connections I could find and dried them. Put fan in hull and constantly tried to dry out. I have researched the cause of this PITA problem, and am pretty sure it is wear ring or hose fittings. I will cross that bridge when I feel I am ready. Meanwhile, I am trying to start her, unsuccessful. Changed plugs. New battery, solenoid, redid all connections. Turns over slower than normal, wants to start, briefly fires, but seems like either fuel starved or... pulled plugs, smell ok, not very gassy though. I plan on replacing IBR motor myself, as it is rusty, seemed to work ok though. How hard is it to replace the starter motor on this PWC? I am mechanically advanced, but never have worked on an engine such as this one. I chose this PWC because I have had great luck with Ski Doo snowmobiles and like the quality product. I wrench anything I can , limited now because of ECM, BUDS, etc. I am now trying to salvage this beast, and am willing to spend some dough to fix it. Have dealer rape me, or can I get it started somehow and replace wear ring? I tried ether, again lit briefly then nothing.
Should I just go to dealer and have it brought back to life?

Just curious did you check that the fuel injectors are squirting fuel and theirs no water in the fuel tank?

You need to remove the intake manifold to get ALL the water out of it first. Do the intercooler too.

Chester

Thanks for replies. No, I was not sure if water could enter fuel tank from inside hull. Can it? I will check injectors. It would make sense that there is residual water in the intake or in the gas tank. Plugs are wet, but not total gas wet. What size torx are the manifold head bolts?

Trying to start motor now. Turns over much better now, catches but wont stay running. Seems close. Old plugs are working better than new ones?

Did you get the water out of the gas tank? Did this happen in salt water?

Chester

Did you get the water out of the gas tank? Did this happen in salt water?

Chester

Chester,
I appreciate your responses greatly. Yes, happened in salt water. I was unsure if water could infiltrate tank, so I pumped it empty anyway. Can water enter gas tank via hull flooding? I got it started, idling. I just got it real close to staying running, then cracked throttle. Maybe the electronics needed a wake up? anyhow, it runs now, but noisy at rear of Doo near exhaust, kind of a rattle? Normal?

Felt I was making progress, now this. Oil in pan- pretty much gone. Prior, I changed out the oil, sucking out the milky contaminated oil from bottom of dipstick. Replaced filter. Put in 3 quarts of new oil. Ski starts perfectly now, no smell, no more water vapor burning off. Seems right. But the oil is gone from pan. Nothing registering on dipstick. 3 quarts! I have searched site. I do not believe it is a motor/gasket leak. Nothing in bilge. Nothing on floor. No oily exhaust smell. Where to look? Vacuum issue? I will be taking this to dealer soon, want to be able to tell them where to spend my money wisely on labor!

Well, today after sitting the night, there was fresher oil in bilge area, so it did end up there. Coming from where, no idea.

I think thats just oil change though. Theirs always some left when sucking it out. Complete oil is usualy a lil more about .5 qts more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back