Docks are evil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

NX EXA

I've come to learn, regardless if you have a Seadoo, Jet Ski, Waverunner, etc., that docks are not friendly to our small vessels. The posts are spaced far apart and the deck is too high that our Doos can float under them causing damage to the upper sections of the vessel. There's only one dock I've been to where I can launch with my pool noodles attached to the side and not beat up my Doo. What do you guys do to prevent damage from the dock?

back with my 96 xp, it was easy.. i didn't give a dam :)

I actually care about dock rash on my new(er) ski now, so i'm more careful. and shockingly my new ski has even less under the hood storage than my xp did, so bumpers are out of the question.

but seriously, the only thing you can really do is tie the ski carefully and correctly, to avoid it drifting under a dock. Generally speaking this means positioning the ski near a post and tying it off on the front (I use the steering column) and the rear (I use the grab bar) and tying them rather snugly to avoid it wiggling itself under the dock. Obviously keeping the tide and current in mind is a factor as well. Most of the time, if there is an actual current, its easy, just tie it downstream of the current and let the water naturally push it away from the dock. But usually my dock rash comes from stray boat wakes that crop up and push things around. Over the years of riding it's become second nature to avoid the end of the dock (waves pushing me back into the wood, etc)

Also, you could always do what my brother does, he ties his ski off onto MY ski, and climbs over my ski to get to his, he never gets dock rash that way... (prick) however, I can't blame him, his ski is an 04 with ZERO scratches and he wants to keep it that way :)

I have my wife hold my boat off the dock, no joke. If we take the skis, my kids hold them so they don't touch the rocks. If I'm solo I use my bumper string line for the boat or I bring a screw anchor line and walk out and anchor the ski out a ways so the bottom doesn't get trashed any worse.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I have my wife hold my boat off the dock, no joke. If we take the skis, my kids hold them so they don't touch the rocks. If I'm solo I use my bumper string line for the boat or I bring a screw anchor line and walk out and anchor the ski out a ways so the bottom doesn't get trashed any worse.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Yup pretty much this. At my local lake there is just too many boats and not enough dock space. So I couldn't dock even if I wanted to. Which basically means when I'm on my own I'm the dick that has to leave his trailer in the water while I ride my ski over to the beach. Like 10 yards away. Then beach it and pull my truck out. I do it faster than most goons can even back their boat in the water. Still doesn't stop some of the assclowns from hollerin at me.

Don't tie up to unfriendly docks...no sht...not kidding.

If that isn't an option.....tie up to the lee side...down wind or down wave action. Regardless of friendly or not...never for long....never over-night......never.

At my home dock I tie boat buoys to the dock. If I'm not at home I just tie it on whatever side the current is flowing to keep it away from the dock. I'm not concerned about dock rash, the side of my ski looks like a dog just clawed the bumper all the way to the end because of the previous owner(s).

back with my 96 xp, it was easy.. i didn't give a dam :)

I actually care about dock rash on my new(er) ski now, so i'm more careful. and shockingly my new ski has even less under the hood storage than my xp did, so bumpers are out of the question.

but seriously, the only thing you can really do is tie the ski carefully and correctly, to avoid it drifting under a dock. Generally speaking this means positioning the ski near a post and tying it off on the front (I use the steering column) and the rear (I use the grab bar) and tying them rather snugly to avoid it wiggling itself under the dock. Obviously keeping the tide and current in mind is a factor as well. Most of the time, if there is an actual current, its easy, just tie it downstream of the current and let the water naturally push it away from the dock. But usually my dock rash comes from stray boat wakes that crop up and push things around. Over the years of riding it's become second nature to avoid the end of the dock (waves pushing me back into the wood, etc)

Also, you could always do what my brother does, he ties his ski off onto MY ski, and climbs over my ski to get to his, he never gets dock rash that way... (prick) however, I can't blame him, his ski is an 04 with ZERO scratches and he wants to keep it that way :)

X2
That works for me.

I'll try to dock down stream but there are cases where that isn't possible (busy wise). The one I went to yesterday was ridiculously high. I'm talking the seat would barely go under the dock if it were pushed that way. I should have taken a picture of it.

This is what I thought of after one of the docks that's low enough.

20130930_152418.jpg

I normally:

1) Pull it into the sand/mud shore.

2) Tie it off so it stays off the dock. (Current pulls it away)

3) Ask to tie off to a boat.

You are right... most docks aren't meant for a shallow draft boat or ski. Even the little 14.5' seadoo boats have a hard time with tying to a dock.

Just an FYI... they sell bent over bumpers to protect the top surface of the hull. I have a set that I will normally keep with my ski's.

94.jpg

Spimothy, I have those first ones listed. They are fine when placing them on when the Doo is dry. Upon returning to dock I couldn't get the bottom cups to stick to the hull below the bumper to save my life. I will assume from the build up. I like the bottom picture, but there again, it's only useful if the dock is low enough.

Spimothy, I have those first ones listed. They are fine when placing them on when the Doo is dry. Upon returning to dock I couldn't get the bottom cups to stick to the hull below the bumper to save my life. I will assume from the build up. I like the bottom picture, but there again, it's only useful if the dock is low enough.

Ditto on the first ones better idea than functional.
I have Hull huggers now (picture 2) and am pretty satisfied. Got them from amazon pretty cheap. They do well if you position them right.

I've come to learn, regardless if you have a Seadoo, Jet Ski, Waverunner, etc., that docks are not friendly to our small vessels. The posts are spaced far apart and the deck is too high that our Doos can float under them causing damage to the upper sections of the vessel. There's only one dock I've been to where I can launch with my pool noodles attached to the side and not beat up my Doo. What do you guys do to prevent damage from the dock?

Resurrection :)

Until my boat house is built, I have to trailer my PWCs to the water. The dock at the boat ramp is (naturally) too high, and the PWC wants to "nose under" with potential damage. Time could be spent tying the ski down so that this doesn't happen, but time is sometimes a luxury I cannot afford.

The other problem is that it's hard to board and "unboard" from a regular dock. I'm no spring chicken, and my wife simply cannot do it.

I realize it's a water sport, but some don't really want to have to get in the water :) Sometimes, anchoring away from a dock is the only option, and that means getting on and off from the water.

I'm new to all of this, but I have yet to see a dock or boat house with a low portion suited for jet ski mooring. I must be crazy for thinking all boat ramps should have jet ski docks and a boat house owner with jet skis should have a low platform for this.

I'm building a boat house next spring, and will have a low platform along one side for temporary mooring of jet skis. This allows us to stop for a break without all of the hassle of the lift platform, and it also encourages visitors to stop by and hang out for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back