TENTATIVE - Success story (fingers crossed)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ckrawiec

OK, so I've been working on & off on my '96 GTX - 787 for quite awhile now . Two seasons ago I THOUGHT I had it sorted and it ran pretty well until one day my son was riding it and it burped some black smoke and shut down. It started right back up and he drove it back to the dock. It would not re-start after that, so we pulled it and it has sat on the trailer most of that season, and through the winter (I winterized it by force). We didn't even launch it last season.

Mind you....I think I'm the second owner (bought USED at a dealer - 4 years ago that claimed they were the skis' regular service provider), the ski sank three seasons ago (the cradle in the boathouse broke and she landed in the water (drain plugs were open) so I don't know how long she was submerged) but when I came back to the cottage in the Spring I was greeted with a ski, nose up in the water (which could also mean that she was a popsicle too - frozen into the river, depending on when she dropped ??? - no structural hull damage so I don't believe she fell on the ice - she was suspended a foot above the low water mark when I left her). Pulled the ski, drained it (did all the necessary stuff - oil, fuel, battery, wiring, etc, etc) and got her pumping again but she just wouldn't run well, so she sat on the trailer at home.

Bought 2 new skis in the meantime.

Anyway, I finally REBUILT those carbs (with Mikuni parts and the CARB sticky post) over this past winter and FINALLY got them back into the ski and put everything back together yesterday afternoon. SHE IS ALIVE and running once again.....got the idle dialed in nicely and the oil pump is synced up. Throttle response is spot on.

She starts NOW on the first button push (with DESS key on, two beeps). She idles smoothly at approx 3000 and the battery is once again getting 13.5 volts with engine running (have I finally got the rectifier situation / 12 V LOW issue fixed too? !....I hope so - PITA).

I know, I know......they run great on the trailer...the water test is the REAL TEST.....MEMORIAL DAY weekend will be the re-launch and water test.....Pray for me.

The 2 stroke forum has been an INVALUABLE resource of tips, tricks , advice and good humor......let's keep it up as these old skis deserve the TLC, they are tough and they can take a beating and a fair amount of suffering....but if you keep at it, be patient...you CAN get them back into shape (aside from outright broken stuff internally mechanical)...SO FAR I have somehow managed to avoid all that despite the ski acting like a submarine....hope I didn't just jinx myself :oops:

was there water in the engine? If so, your crank bearings might be rusted. Worse, you wrist pin bearings might be rusted. I had one of those let go once. It was nasty. Those engines are pretty common and cheap these days. If you've got other new skis to come rescue it, ride it till it blows :)

was there water in the engine? If so, your crank bearings might be rusted. Worse, you wrist pin bearings might be rusted. I had one of those let go once. It was nasty. Those engines are pretty common and cheap these days. If you've got other new skis to come rescue it, ride it till it blows :)
Of course there was water in the engine :p....she was flooded for I don't know how long...BUT SURPRISINGLY not that much in the bottom end (the oil OUT was pretty much OIL, not milk - lucky me). It's been 2 years now though and I've drained the oil out, got all the water out and kept fresh oil in there ever since (and it's been fogged and a little MMO down the holes every once in a while with turn overs, etc)..... This ski owes me nothing and she has been running intermittantly since her submarine expedition (but I firmly BELIEVE my carbs were asking for the full service treatment...which is now done)....SO, I'm anticipatinging that this season is the charm......I'll be riding it till it melts (and we never ride alone)......I DO keep a watchful eye on the oil and such.....:cool:

I wish you luck and keep us updated. This will be one of those lucky miracles if that engine survives.

POST Memorial Day UPDATE: Well, as these things go...it never starts out easy. Brought the ski to the cottage and attempted to launch it.....it fired right up on the trailer BEFORE we took it to the ramp. Get to the ramp, WON'T start for nothing, cranks strong.....well, DUH......don't ask me how but "someone (ME)" turned off the fuel selector....so no fuel to the engine.....what a rookie move, DOH!.

ANYWAY, got her started, dropped her in the water and my son took her on a test voyage....MY INSTRUCTIONS were "go easy until she warms up some, then gently throttle up a touch and see what she does"......5 minutes later.....BLASTOFF. She takes off like a bat out of hell......no hesitation, no bogging at any speed, great throttle response.....LOUD (but normal for a 2 stroker)......I eventually got to ride it and she's back......FAST TOO. I caught my Spark2 with a 50 yard head start......hahahahahahaha.

Happy to say...ALL 3 skis are now floating and running wild (although the Spark2 keeps throwing an iBR fault code....sigh....always something).....no problem...I FIX! (soon)

NOTE: BlackTip self stick mats don't hold in the '96 GTX footwells. Right side is OK, left side is peeling up already (both sides were installed a while ago on CLEAN surfaces and have not seen water until this past weekend)....oh well! I'll experiment with spray adhesives, etc.....or take them out altogether if necessary.

2nd week update....the ski is still firing up and running well on the water. No complaints so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back