Difficulty adjusting throttle with gear shift

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaP

Hello all,
I am glad to have some free time to spend here. I have
finished meticulously rebuilding my carbs and replaceing my pump assembly. It was easier to replace it than
change the impellar and wear ring, I found a good deal
on a new used on!!
I find now that the throttle will not go forward without
the gear shift in neutral, then gear shift won't move.
Thats no good. Any ideas?
It's nice to be back. Weather here is still 80's so maybe
I will get some water time.
Thanks to all,
LindaP

Linda, on my 1997 Challenger I have a similar situation you have. I have had the linkage off and checked it few times. It seems, you have to be sure the throttle is in netural or lower position to engage gear shift than push the throttle forward. Sometimes I have to wiggle the gear shift in forward to have throttle move to forward of netural position...It is because the parts are slightly worn and not quite meshing properly. It's little aggravating sometimes, but cheaper than buying a new throttle gear shift assy.
Karl

Safety catch

Linda, this is a safety system built into the boat to keep you from over reving while in neutral. It's a part of the linkage. There is a neutral safety switch that limits rpm at 3000 rpm and if the gear is in neutral, the throttle will not move forward. Your not suppose to be able to start in gear either. With the other pump, your linkage may not have been lined up properly, now it is.

Was it not lined up Linda, or just not shifting properly...I think both seadoosnipes, and my post are what you need to know.

throttle and gear problem

Hi, The problem I have is when I move the shifter to
forward the throttle will not move at all. I can go full
throttle, but only in Neutral. The boat is not useable
with this problem.
LindaP

Linda, I thought that was the problem you posted earlier in this thread...Push the Shift lever almost to the full forward position...than move the throttle lever forward. I have the same exact problem, but with a little playing around you'll find the correct amount of wiggle to get it to work. Don't fret it , if this trick doesn't work PM me and I'll see if I can't help you get it resolved.
Karl

Throttle and gear problem resolved

Hi, I tried the wiggling with the gear shift and throttle
but could not get past the detent. What I ended up doing
was loosen the frame at the gear shifter. This allowed
the throttle assembly to push the gear to the side, just enough to get past the ball bearing. I know this isn't a very good way to get the results I needed, but it works and didn't cost me anything. I still have much work to do
with the engine.
Thanks
LindaP

Well, I'm glad you got ti work...If you need any more help let us know, or find a permanente solution that would be great.
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back