diagnosing whether a MPEM is bad on a 1997 seadoo gtx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbulk

i have a 1997 seadoo gtx and am trying to verify if i have a good MPEM. if it beeps twice does that mean that guarantee that the MPEM is good. in using the service manual on this subject the first entry is between to red wires one is referred to as the red (ring terminal) the other is the female terminal. have no issue finding what the female terminal looks like is the ring terminal a male terminal

thanks

A "Red Ring Terminal" is a connector on a Red Wire that has a hole for a bolt to fit through and the terminal is secured by that bolt.

I have the same model and mine has the original orange 5 volt fuse and it's still good. I replaced it just to be sure. It beeps twice, gauges come on and turns over fine but has no fire. I have Ohmed the Stator, the pick up coil, the ignition coil, the white wire from the rear electrical box to the MPEM, spark plug boots and wires. New battery. New plugs. Everything checks out within spec or shows continuity. This years model has the CDI built into the MPEM. So I get no spark. I just ordered a MPEM w/key from Westside Powersports.

i have bought a new MPEM. i just want to be sure that i exhausted all possibilities of interpretation before i swap.... i did find out that the DESS post seems to only be partially working... when i put the key on it i still have and open circuit between the black and yellow black wire. the post above had a unhelpful comment which is a ring connector is one that attaches to a post. there is only one redish wire that has a ring connector and that is attached to the ground plane that the regulator sits on... same for you... this stopped working when the rider went over a big wave and jolted the ski

Did you buy an aftermarket MPEM? I’m
Not sure about what red wire with a terminal that you and Etemplet mentioned? Are you thinking that’s your problem?

this was the original MPEM all other resistance checked out but the first test on the list is for the positive terminal of the multi-meter to the red (ring terminal) and the negative terminal of the multimeter to the red female connector... its just the only ring terninals in the electronics box is tied to the ground plane

resistance was way off should be less the 1kohm it meassured 200Kohms

Did you buy an aftermarket MPEM? I’m
Not sure about what red wire with a terminal that you and Etemplet mentioned? Are you thinking that’s your problem?

I merely described a "Red Ring Terminal." I don't know if the ski has one. :) My 1996 SPI had one inside the gray box and it connected to the starter solenoid.

I can verify that just two beeps doesn't always mean the 97 MPEM is good. I had one that the CDI section was bad, and it beeped twice, but never started. It only shot an occasional spark and caused HUGE backfires.... New MPEM cured it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back