deciding between sportster vs speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue-doo155

hey guys,

i'm looking to buy a second boat thats small & easy to tow to different lakes. With a budget of 5-6k, I've decided on either a sportster or speedster. To complicate my decision, both boats have different engines. In the $6k range, i'm mostly finding '98-'02 speedsters with either twin 2-stroke rotax/single merc 240 or '04-'05 Sportsters with the 155hp 4-tec rotax.. I'm really torn here. Has anyone ridden in both of these boats? From my research the speedster is about a foot longer, and holds an extra person. Imo, its slightly better looking with the driver & passenger windshield deflectors, but thats a minor detail. Any significant differences in the way they ride or handle. How much noisier will the 2stroke rotax or merc be over the 4-tec? Having to premix gas for the 2-strokes wouldn't be a deal breaker, but an overly-loud engine might be. Any of these motors i should be avoiding? i'd appreciate any input!

thanks!

Some of the 4 stroke guys say the 155 is the most reliable seadoo motor ever made, the 2 stroke rotax is extremely reliable if the fuel system is happy, the merc motors catch the most grief for blowing up but [MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION] has proven that they can be just as reliable with the right stuff updated on them. I have not ridden in a merc boat but the 155 is for sure gonna be quieter than the twin 2 stroke but its not that bad as long as the storage tray is in place over the motor.

Can you turn a wrench? If so the 2 stroke might be a good choice. However, they are very loud. Like borderline impossible to have a conversation at idle (twin engine speedster). There's another one on my lake that's a 4 stroke 155. The newer 4 strokes are extremely quiet and very refined compared to the older 2 stroke ones.

Does yours still have all the exhaust in it? I know some get the last can removed from them.

Yup both have the big cylinders on em. If I load it with enough weight to get both exhaust outlets in the water it's actually pretty quiet. I did some research and it looks like the challenger and sportster 1800s come with a curved tube that sticks out of the hull and directs the exhaust down into the water instead of out. I may try to install those for next summer if u can get my hands on them.

thanks for the info guys. i found 2 speedsters i liked. One with a merc and the other with the twin rotax. I guess the twins are out(last thing i want is my wife complaining its too loud).. I also read in the merc section that Dr Honda says at 15+ years old, the merc would be due for a rebuild regardless of low hours or not..bummer...i guess that leaves me with the sportster/155 rotax. One other question; i see quite a few seadoo's with faded plastic panels(not fiberglass I'm guessing). Can these panels be brought back with some plastic polishing compound or are they 'gone' once they're faded? thanks again!

My speedsters hood was extremely faded (take a look at my build thread from last year). I've heard you can buff them out, but instead I repainted it with krylon fusion spray paint. I was extremely happy with the finished product.

btw its kinda funny that the 2004 version of your boat that i'm looking at is called the "sportster"... seadoo did some weird flip flopping with their names huh

Ok,, from a purely engine perspective,,, here are my thoughts. First, let me make it clear that I am a 4-tec guy. Absolutely love them. Super reliable and run for many hundreds of hours even into the thousands of hours. That said, here are some thoughts and facts.

Boat engines are off a year. So if you buy a 2004 boat it will have 2003 engines. This is important to know is some specific cases.

2-strokes are MUCH easier and much more affordable to work on. But they tend to need a lot of TLC.

The 4-tec engine had Sodium filled exhaust valves from 2003 to mid-2006. In the standard 155 engine these are not a big issue unless it is a salt water application. These valves fail, break and fall into the engine and cause SEVERE damage. In Super Charged engines, they are of more concern. These valves need to be swapped out with the solid core that Sea Doo upgraded to. Yes,, I know this sounds scary, but it really isn't. It just needs to be known when you are purchasing a boat/ski.

The 2-strokes needs the carbs rebuilt every so often at $100 of parts per carb. There are common failures on the 2-strokes, but they are external for the most part. This makes them easier to service and more affordable as I mentioned above.

I am NOT talking you out of a 4-tec, they are FANTASTIC engines. I will never own anything but a the 4-tec engine. Mine are 2009 and newer which has none of the issues as the older 4-tech.

Hope I helped and not hindered your thoughts,,,

An assumption here, a 4tec boat guy would have to chime in but I would bet a 4tec boat gets better fuel milage, I know my twin 787 boat snorts it up like a junkie after begging for change all day :willy_nilly:

my twin rotax speedster is not loud at idle and you do not strain to have a conversation. Ill try to make a video today and may even use an inaccurate cell phone DB app to record loudness

Speedster with twin all the way. Cheaper to repair and fast on the water. Not to loud I think, anyway you dont talk at 30mph on the water! Stay away from the mercury. I you have more money, go with the 180 challenger or the 200 Speedster whitout the supercharger.

thanks guys..it seems like these speedsters all vary in terms of noise? did they maybe change the exhaust over the years?.. I tried to youtube the 2stroke doo's but its hard to get an idea via a computer speaker. At this point the merc is out unless i come across one that has a recent rebuild.
CoastieJoe: do you know what a dealer might charge to have the updated valves installed in the 155? parts & labor. I was under the impression that the 155's weren't affected by the valve issues until i read your reply. I'm in New Jersey where most of the boats i'm finding were used in both salt & fresh water. Aren't all these motors coolant cooled, not raw water cooled? thanks for all the good info

thanks guys..it seems like these speedsters all vary in terms of noise? did they maybe change the exhaust over the years?.. I tried to youtube the 2stroke doo's but its hard to get an idea via a computer speaker. At this point the merc is out unless i come across one that has a recent rebuild.
CoastieJoe: do you know what a dealer might charge to have the updated valves installed in the 155? parts & labor. I was under the impression that the 155's weren't affected by the valve issues until i read your reply. I'm in New Jersey where most of the boats i'm finding were used in both salt & fresh water. Aren't all these motors coolant cooled, not raw water cooled? thanks for all the good info

They are coolant cooled but the salt is in the air and is MUCH different than a fresh water environment.

The valves are right around $40 each. I don't know what they would charge but I'd bet it is $500-600 due to labor requirements.

My twin 787 speedster isn't loud at all at idle and i'm not running resonators. There is a video on Youtube of an SK speedster at idle in the water check it out.

The Speedster does love fuel though! I also have an RXP with the 215 engine which also loves fuel but I'm sure the 155 engine is much better.

IMO if you are somewhat mechanically inclined id go the 2 stroke route.

The speedster youre talking about is with the old hull and the sportster from 2004 the newer hull. The 155hp 4stroke was named sportster and the supercharge ones speedster I think.
Don't forgdt that you get the closed cooling with the 4stroke. Nice feat specially if you riding salt

The speedster youre talking about is with the old hull and the sportster from 2004 the newer hull. The 155hp 4stroke was named sportster and the supercharge ones speedster I think.
Don't forgdt that you get the closed cooling with the 4stroke. Nice feat specially if you riding salt

The OP was inquiring about the 98-02 Speedster.

LOL, too loud? Are you crazy????????? I have owned my 99 Speedster since new off the dealer floor. That boat is not loud at idle, my wife has NEVER complained about the boat being loud. I just can't get past that I'm sorry. At 7K RPM and 53 mph and the wind in your ears, yes it's loud.I would love to see the engine compartment, I'm wondering if someone removed your resonators on the sides before they enter the water boxes.

I also don't think it's a pig on gas either.

I would consider the 98-99 Speedster a 4 seater not a 5. The bow seat is the bouncy seat, you can launch people out if they're not holding on...tight.

The 98-99 is the only Speedster I would look at, nothing earlier, I wouldn't touch a Merc powered Seadoo with a 100' pole. The twin 787's are a breeze to work on, trouble shooting is simple and parts are in abundance. Carb rebuilds are $50 a pop so that $200 total plus a little more for needle and seats. But you don't have to rebuild them all that often. Can't comment on the 4tec but I'm not a 4 stroke boat guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back