Currently getting towed...(UPDATE 2)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nosnibor

Update 2: Relay was replaced and nothing. Starter was tested and was doing nothing. Replaced starter and she kicked on!

Everything seems to be ok again for now. Thanks for all the help y'all!

----------------------

Update: The issue was the jet pump. Basically had all of the jet pump internals replaced.

However the day I picked it up it started and got me on the water fine but when I wanted to leave it would not start. I'm thinking something electrical but once I finally got back to the ramp I noticed a more than usual amount of water from the drains. It did rain a but while I was out but not sure if it was that much. Hoping it's relay or starter...

-----------------------

First seemingly major issue.

I'm writing this as I'm being towed back to dock.

I was cruising maybe about 3/4 throttle and all of a sudden the rpm sound got really loud and I lost power.

I shut the motor off and tried one more time and heard that louder sound right away and turned it back off.

Boat is a 2011 Seadoo Challenger 180 SE 255hp.

Any ideas what I should check first? Is this potentially a shop issue or did I maybe suck something up?

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!

Last edited:
You probably sucked up something through the intake. I would check there to make sure it's not clogged with seaweed, etc. This just happened to me and I had a part of a stick jammed in the impeller (see other thread).

You probably sucked up something through the intake. I would check there to make sure it's not clogged with seaweed, etc. This just happened to me and I had a part of a stick jammed in the impeller (see other thread).
Oh ok. It didn't seem like the sucked up type of symptoms but I will definitely crawl under and see what I can find.

I would look and make sure I didn't suck anything up. It sounds like you did. Was there strange engine noises beside it revving up?

I would look and make sure I didn't suck anything up. It sounds like you did. Was there strange engine noises beside it revving up?

Just looked. Nothing on either end.

There is a high pitched rattling sound. It always had like a lower pitch rattling sound since I bought it but not it's louder and higher pitched.

My 2011 215 horse did the same thing never seen any debris but there was enough wear after I sucked threw something. Changed wear ring and was good to go.

Because it will be louder if there is no water hose hooked up

The sound happened instantly when I was driving with the lose of power.

The same issue out of the water. The sound is not the normal sound with or without water. It is higher pitched/violent. The wear ring looked pretty normal. There were like tiny scrapes but barely anything a finger nail could grip to.

Friend confirmed the rear was spinning but said it looked "wobbly". Not sure if that matters.

Well if it looks wobbly I would call it a day might be a bearing going out best to have it checked. You would be amazed on how much little wear on that ring will ruin your day. My was doing the same thing cruising back to the dock and it was like the boat just went into neutral and it was the wear ring.

Well if it looks wobbly I would call it a day might be a bearing going out best to have it checked. You would be amazed on how much little wear on that ring will ruin your day. My was doing the same thing cruising back to the dock and it was like the boat just went into neutral and it was the wear ring.

Would bearing be a wear ring issue too? I'm starting to think this is a wear thing.

What do you mean by RPM sound got louder? Did the exhaust get louder suddenly?

We lost an exhaust hose 2 weeks ago. Cruising along at about 40mph. Engine started to stumble, got loud and slowly lost power over the next few seconds. Starboard motor was fine. Tried starting dead, port motor with no luck. Popped the engine cover and noticed a hose laying on the floor with water coming out. We keep tools on the boat, so we were fixed in a matter of a 30 minutes.

Have you looked in the engine compartment? Does everything seem normal? Any water? Smells? Leaks?

Battery voltage?

What do you mean by RPM sound got louder? Did the exhaust get louder suddenly?

We lost an exhaust hose 2 weeks ago. Cruising along at about 40mph. Engine started to stumble, got loud and slowly lost power over the next few seconds. Starboard motor was fine. Tried starting dead, port motor with no luck. Popped the engine cover and noticed a hose laying on the floor with water coming out. We keep tools on the boat, so we were fixed in a matter of a 30 minutes.

Have you looked in the engine compartment? Does everything seem normal? Any water? Smells? Leaks?

Battery voltage?

Yeah I looked inside almost instantly. I checked every hose I could see/reach. No water inside. No smell. Nothing was leaking.

The sound and power loss was simultaneous. It's basically the same engine sound but louder and higher pitched. I thought maybe a hose came loose because of the sound. I've exhausted everything I can probably do. Just going to take it to the shop I guess.

Sounds like the resonator collapsed inside, if you didn't blow an exhaust hose or the muffler then there is really nothing else that would cause a louder exhaust note. Take the hose off and see if it's melted or collapsed inside, if so then maybe you are not getting enough cooling water through the system.

Throw her on the hose and post a video of the sound she's making. That would be helpful.

Sounds like the resonator collapsed inside, if you didn't blow an exhaust hose or the muffler then there is really nothing else that would cause a louder exhaust note. Take the hose off and see if it's melted or collapsed inside, if so then maybe you are not getting enough cooling water through the system.

I'm not quite sure what or where that would be. I need to get a diagram.

Oh wow, thanks for the image. Could something like this cause the power loss?

It could. We were out 2 weeks ago and the hose that connects to it (#12 in the above pic) came loose and killed the entire engine. She lost power and started to stumble, then she died. We have a twin and I carry tools, so we were good, but it did leave us with a dead engine until I re-secured the hose.

It could. We were out 2 weeks ago and the hose that connects to it (#12 in the above pic) came loose and killed the entire engine. She lost power and started to stumble, then she died. We have a twin and I carry tools, so we were good, but it did leave us with a dead engine until I re-secured the hose.

It's been raining non stop so no video.

Can't get in the shop for a while but the guy thinks it could be the motor mount came loose and maybe disengaged from a drive shaft...?

It's been raining non stop so no video.

Can't get in the shop for a while but the guy thinks it could be the motor mount came loose and maybe disengaged from a drive shaft...?

If that's the case, you should easily be able to test that theory. If it is disengaged, then it should spin freely from below. You could also fire up the boat and check to see if the impeller is spinning or not. A broken or dislodged driveshaft would result in a motionless impeller when the motor is running.

While it's certainly not impossible, I seriously doubt the driveshaft is your issue. Not based off the symptoms you described originally.

A broken motor mount would definitely create some vibration, but not enough to dislodge the driveshaft. If it were enough, I'd think you'd notice the vibration before things went wrong.

Sounds to me like something is jammed in the impeller. Does it sound normal at idle and then makes noise once you increase the power? Last year I was cruising at 30mph and all of a sudden the boat started to shake violently accompanied with a terrible engine sound. I thought for sure it was catastrophic engine failure, but the boat idled normally. Everything seemed fine with the engine so I jumped in the water to check the intake and found nothing. I was long ways out on the lake so I figured I'd try to clear whatever it was by revving it up. After 4 or 5 attempts at high power it spit something out and everything was back to normal. I assume it was a stick or some other solid object.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back