Crankshaft Damage

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevlh20

I just pulled the crank out of my 94 XP 650 engine. one of the bearings does not turn over. Let me know what yall think I should do.
26.jpg

Wow......

Now that's some pretty bad damage.........and some great pix!
The first thing I would do, is determine what caused the damage. No use to repair it till you know what caused it. Do you do premix? It looks like it may have been caused from an oil pump failure or the oil/gas mix bad. Or, using the wrong type oil. It's probably going to fit into one of those categorys...
As for the repairs.......you got a few ways to approach this. If the casing an pistons suffered no damage and all the measurements come out good, then you can order a new assembled crankshaft for about $275. If you need a complete top end kit (pistons) another $273. Plus, a couple extra bucks for all the other accessories (Loctite, oil and the like) to put it back together. Or, you can put the crankstaft back in the block. Remove the PTO flywheel and all the other parts, magneto, exhaust manifold, carbs...etc and just buy a new engine for $745 and be done with it. You can order the new motor first, when it arrives, you'll know which parts you have to keep for yourself, then ship the other one back (which, shipping back is included in the price. You also use the crate the new motor came in).
You can find the material needed to repair your Doo at http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=1994sxp. Let us know what you decide to do. And great shots of the bearings and crankshaft. Thanks for posting them.
I'd like to hear other comments on what they think caused this to happen. I think it is an oiling issue. Any other ideas...? BTW Kev, do you know wha the compression of the engine was running before this damage occured and where you running WOT when it happened?

I'm really not sure what the compression was on the engine before i took it apart. I'm really not sure how this happened I bought it witht the idea that I am going to fix it so this is what I discovered as the problem.

I see.....

I see then. I would really look over the other parts, casing (upper and lower) and decide by the price list to the link I gave you and the experience you have in trueing in a new crankshaft, then deciding what to do. I can tell you from experience....in this case, it would be cheaper in the long run, to put that crankshaft back in and oreder the new motor on the link I provided. But, during the install process, I'd really go over the carbs and oiling systems to make sure you are set up properly, so that you don't repeat the same damage. There are several reasons this could have happened.....
It being a 94....it would depend on what you paid for it or how much you've already invested in. The condition of the ski (if it's still in mint condition other than the motor) would play a big role in deciding on how much more you were willing to invest. The new motor does come with a 1 year "no fault" warranty and if done right, could give you upwards of 10 years or riding. But you'd never be able to re-sell for what you put in it.....you may break even.

Another option would be to part it out, if the investment is too high and no recovering back the expense. If it didn't cost much to start than it might be worth it.

Karl

Seal.....

That seal in post 2 could be damaged by the heat generated after the roller balls came out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back