Crank But no start P0231

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

shuga

I'm working on an 07 GTI, It only has 3 hours on it. Basically brand new. It's been sitting since 07, I drained the coolant, Oil, Gas and put a brand new battery in it. I went to try and start it for the first time, however it only beeped and cranked. I looked down and noticed I was getting a check engine, the code is P0231. I did some research and see that it's a code for the fuel pump. But would the fuel pump be faulty with only 3 hours on it? Any suggestions?

What was the fuel you took out like…varnish?
Any water?
Pump has had a long soak.
check fuses

So you expect a fuel pump that's been sitting in the same gas for 15 years to work fine? The fuel can't look perfect after 15 years. I had one that sat 10 years and I had to completely go through the fuel pump including soaking it in carb cleaner, replacing the internal lines and filters. Pull the fuel pump and bench test it.

Best to review the shop manual, and you can typically find a free one online. But basically, from memory, you need to drill out the rivets that hold in the storage container that is under your handlebars in front of you. Then remove the storage container. You will have access to the fuel pump at that point.

FYI - a ski that has been sitting for so many years is likely to have a few relays, motors, or seals that are no longer good. But sounds like you found a great opportunity and hopefully it just needs a little attention to get it back up and running. I would expect the fuel pump and float to be seized up or fail fairly soon after sitting that long - I would probably have replaced it even it worked, just for good measure.

Back