Coolant leak over winter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nvideon

I have a 2004 GTX Limited 4-tec. During the summer and during use it does NOT leak coolant, but over the winter (I live in Atlanta and it stays outside) it will leak a cup or two of coolant into the bilge. Enough so that the overflow tank goes from between half way between add/full to nearly empty. What is the likely cause? Thanks!

Maybe your reservoir is cracked? I'd remove it and pressure test it. You can pressure test the entire cooling system, just be careful and put more than 10psi to it (it's rated for 15), or you might blow out the waterpump seal. You need to let air into it very slowly. Let me know if you need plans on how to build a tool to do this.

I don't see any evidence that the reservoir is cracked. It is dry with no residue on it. I even have an overflow tube that goes into a plastic bottle and I never see any antifreeze in that bottle. And it leaks no antifreeze over the summer months or when driven for hours at pressure. There is never any antifreeze in the oil or vice versa. Only in the bilge after the winter.

I have thought about removing the water pump and oil pump housing to see if the seal is the cause, but wanted to see if anyone knew of a likely place I should start looking.

Couple basic things. Antifreeze looses it’s ability to prevent freezing as it gets old and should be changed every couple years to avoid freeze damage.

Also some clean white paper towels in the bottom of the hull can help trace dripping.

I would do a thorough inspection of the pipes and motor to see if you can spot residue or even droplets. It's going to be pretty hard though, as some areas are super hard to get to. Get one of those mirrors on a stick. Some even have a light on them. I would try pressure testing the cooling system before removing the waterpump seal. I hear that's a bear to change/install, and requires special tools.

It looks like the leak is where the hose from the water pump connects to the ride plate. Perhaps when it gets cold, the hose contracts and allows coolant to seep out. It does not look easy to remove the hose! It is way back in the back for the bilge.

At least you have a starting place to investigate, your hypothesis sounds pretty legit. Did they use wormgear clamps to secure those? You could just try tightening it at first and see if it keeps leaking after that.

Unfortunately, they used a very stiff spring clamp. I think the issue is the hose barb is not screwed in tightly enough into the ride plate and it contracts when it gets cold and leaks through the threads. There is a pool of coolant in the recess were the barb goes through the hull and that area is well above the bottom of the bildge where the rest of the coolant is.

I have a 2004 GTX Limited 4-tec. During the summer and during use it does NOT leak coolant, but over the winter (I live in Atlanta and it stays outside) it will leak a cup or two of coolant into the bilge. Enough so that the overflow tank goes from between half way between add/full to nearly empty. What is the likely cause? Thanks!
Check the weep hole at water pump. I had two 2014's that both had leaking seals at 100 hours!

Did you figure out the problem? I have the same problem rode it all summer and no leaks and was cleaning it out and noticed a leak coming from one of the coolant nipples. I actually took the antifreeze out took the hose off inspected and replaced the clamp with no success. Just like yours it did not leak while riding it only while it is setting. I took the nipple out and inspected it with no cracks or holes and inspected the ride plate threads with no problem so I'm thinking the same thing that it just wasn't tight enough. I just hate to keep putting antifreeze and dumping it because that's the only way to recheck it. Just trying to see if anyone else has had this problem and be an easy fix or is it something to go ahead and take it and get it repaired by a professional.

I have the exact same problem on my 2002 GTX- except it leaks on the floor in my garage. I fill it up at the beginning of winter and the reservoir is empty in spring. It has been doing it for 5 years and never an issue in summer.Maybe leaks a bit but not very much in summer.
Has anybody actually fixed their problem yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back