Contemplating spare engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian0516

So now that the season is over in northern Indiana. I'm thinking of what I want to do to my 95 xp over the winter. Being that I absolutely love to ride but don't get a whole lot of free time to during the season. I was thinking of acquiring a spare 720 so that if I should have issues next season my down time would minimal. Idk if I wanna rebuild one (experience would be nice), buy a running engine( how do you really know) or buy a good core and have one built. Suggestions and experiences from the forum would be much appreciated.

I'm thinking of the same thing...more so bc I just found an HX that has the same motor as me, it's in good mechanical shape, new driveshaft and driveline parts, fires right up, AND comes with a trailer, although the bunk is broke on the right side, I'm thinking he'd take $500 for the whole package, so I think for the price alone it might be worth it.. What are you looking to spend? The motor isn't a crisp shiny fresh painted one, but it's got +-150 psi and you can VERIFY that it runs..
I'd even consider something like splitting the cost with someone, and divvying up the motor and the trailer

I would just buy another ski. There's a 96 Xp in northern Indiana I had planned to get but our schedules never worked he emailed me this week and said $700

Really don't have room for another ski. Have 94 750 ss I have to finish parting out first. Plus then I'll have to buy more go fast parts. Lol

Understandable but once you ride the 96 then your 95 would be your spare. Do you have a tethered start stop button left to part out

Can you send me a pm with picture and price shipped. Depending on what you mean by smoked the engine I might be interested in it should be a small pin so if the cranks junk I wouldn't want it

Had a spare engine for my 95 xp sitting in a crate next to my ski for one season:) then a friend blew his 720 and I sold him the engine and bought my 97 spx. A spare ski is better;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you send me a pm with picture and price shipped. Depending on what you mean by smoked the engine I might be interested in it should be a small pin so if the cranks junk I wouldn't want it
It is a small pin or was. Blew mag piston to shreds, cracked the sleeve and bent the crank. It's scrapped already.

I got four riding buddies and 7 skis to choose from! Here's the list
2002 xp limited 951
2000 Gs 720
97 spx 787
97 GSI 720
96 GSX 787
95 XP 720
94 XP 657x
I am the mechanic for all my friends. They love me! Lol... With the help of this great forum, all are great running reliable skis running API TC oils.... This was a great season!

Only three are winterized right now.... All of them will be winterized this week....:(

I got four riding buddies and 7 skis to choose from! Here's the list
2002 xp limited 951
2000 Gs 720
97 spx 787
97 GSI 720
96 GSX 787
95 XP 720
94 XP 657x
I am the mechanic for all my friends. They love me! Lol... With the help of this great forum, all are great running reliable skis running API TC oils.... This was a great season!

I'm gonna come ride with you guys next summer. Sucks riding solo. My best buddy's on the lake are wake boats wake surfing[emoji2]

I bought a cheap, but running GTX that needs a bunch of cosmetic work, glass work, seats etc. So I am parting it out for myself to support the other two gtx's and GSX that I will run next season. Will have a full motor, electrical, and pump, etc ready if there are any issues next season. I just do not have room for a fourth ski. Actually not even sure what to do with one of the good three remaining skis this winter...

I bought a cheap, but running GTX that needs a bunch of cosmetic work, glass work, seats etc. So I am parting it out for myself to support the other two gtx's and GSX that I will run next season. Will have a full motor, electrical, and pump, etc ready if there are any issues next season. I just do not have room for a fourth ski. Actually not even sure what to do with one of the good three remaining skis this winter...
Good to know. I remember you posting about buying that thing. Did you happen to get compression tests on it?

Ok well I'm guessing braleys response kinda answered my question.. $400 for a good used running 720, so then this 95/96 HX 720 that runs and rides with good compression with a trailer, even with a messed up bunk, including a title for the ski IS worth offering this guy the $500 he said he'd consider..he's not a hack either, he had a custom wave blaster as well, and does the Daytona free ride and runs with some crew up in tampa, so I trust his driveshaft install was done better than I did mine!

I have three good 717's right now. I'm stacked because I got two good ones from a 97 Speedster. It probably takes $75 in shipping and Paypal fees so I would say $325 in person. This does not include carb/carbs though.

SPXPOS- You should snap that deal up. Not sure if it's an HX or Blaster but well worth it either way. Both those are still relevant racers in the IJSBA so there are people willing to drive and pay.

Spare running engine (951) is like $1,000-$1500

running 951 gtx in the fall is like $2,000 - $2200

... so for $500 more you get... a WHOLE SKI...

not factoring insurance and or registration, it's honestly not that hard to justify.

I've got 4 skis in my fleet at the moment, possibly a 5th if this guy emails me back... he's got a blown up 2000 GTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back