Console dropping

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Li'l John

Hello everyone. New member here and recent purchaser of 2006 Sea Doo Sportster 4-Tec. After purchase, I noted that the steering console seems to have dropped slightly. Note that gap at top is a little wider than at the bottom. Looking inside the storage compartment I see that the L-bracket support has come detached from wall of the console as seen in the picture. Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?SAM_1484.JPGSAM_1487.JPGSAM_1484.JPGSAM_1487.JPG If I loosen the screw and use some kind of adhesive to reattach, do you think it will hold and what do you suggest to bond bracket to console wall? Thanks for any help.

Mine’s exactly the same. Always annoyed me, but never took the time to figure out why it was drooping. I think your idea to re-glue it would work if you use a good 2 part epoxy. I’m going to be checking mine when I pick it up in the spring.

Take the bracket off, grind/sand off the old adhesive and re-attached with some G/Flex epoxy while using a 2x4 or equivalent to support the front of the helm while it dries. Definitely sratch the underside of the bracket so the epoxy has something to bite into. Maybe even drill a couple of small holes for the epoxy to push through and form a "rivet" of sorts.

G/FLex epoxy is super strong, but has some give to it. I've used it to attach jet ski pump shoes in the past. Never had an issue.

Try a kit like this

I think you need some serious reinforcement. I believe this is a common issue with these seadoo boats. They flex A LOT as they're getting pounded on the water. Use leverage, or maybe hydraulic jacks as you're moving it back into position and reinforce the hell out of it with brackets and good epoxy, like West Systems 101 or something. I'm getting a different kind of separation on mine, but mine is a different model, and there is no obvious way to reinforce it w/o taking off the whole top deck...

Thank you for the replies. Finally got around to making the fix. I used the thickened G/flex epoxy adhesive as suggested. Seems to be very strong stuff. One problem I had, was how to clamp the bracket while the epoxy cured. Used an adjustible spring loaded expanding closet rod that adjusts from about 14 to 24 inches. Held the bracket well while the epoxy cured. After removing the supports the helm has stayed in place. Will see what happens next time out. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back