Wires to the unused and capped 2" Quick Connect in drivers console melted?????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed today that I have some wires melted to each other on the extra quick connects in the console. I'm talking about the large 2" or so quick connects in the upper right hand corner of the console in front of the drivers seat on a Sportster 1800. The quick connects are not being used, which is what has me baffled. I could understand if they had a load attached to them. The wires don't smell, and I don't think the melting is recent but I can't be certain as I have worked in the compartment before, but this time I had shop light down in it. I've done industrial type electrical work to wiring houses, so I do keep an eye on wire condition, which is why I found this. It was one wire that looked melted and when I undid the bundle it turned into 3 wires having damage, but they were laying on each other so can't really say they had issues like the main one that I first saw.
I looked at the schematics for the boats that the Service Manual Addendum has, and they are all there. I do see a note that Conductors not listed aren't relevant. The wires were B122, B123 and B115. None are listed on the schematic.
Does anyone know why these wires would melt when the disconnect has been capped? I mean, it had to be shorted some how to have melted I would think.

If anyone knows anything technical about these disconnects or has an idea what may have happened here I will greatly appreciate it. I don't even know what they would hook to and they are much bigger than the ones that are actually in use. I don't know if the previous owner may have had something hooked to them to do this or not, but they are capped and that's all I can say I know. As big as this wire bundle is and the way they are routed this one is gonna be a bear, and probably for not much reason other than I don't want to burn my boat or my building down. Hopefully I can locate where these hook up. If so I'll cut the wire. It about has to go to the MPEM on the largest connectors if they go anywhere. I've messed with just about every other wire in the engine compartment except those.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back