Connect Charger to battery whilst it still connect to Seadoo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sahadeobates

Greetings everyone, someone plug a charger onto a battery whilst the leads were still connect to the battery in a seadoo. after charging, i plug in the lanyard and i get two short beeps and one long one. i tried pressing the start and nothing happening. check the fuse and they all are ok. could plugging on a charger to the battery whilst it's still to the seadoo damage the computer?

I have read some posts indicating that some chargers can harm the computer, especially those with desulfation capability.
I truly hope such is not the case for you.
I use a Schumacher Speed Charge, smart charger. I use the "pigtail" permanently wired to the battery, and periodically charge the batteries in my Harley's, mower, and watercraft. No issues so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything that is 2.5 amps or higher can harm the MPEM. If you want to charge the battery, get a TENDER or disconnect a battery wire and use any regular charger.

I used the battery tender trickle charger for years, 2 stroke and 4 stroke, yamaha/seadoo/honda, zero issues, and I never disconnected the battery.

most of the time I use the quick connect plugs from BT, I bought spares so I could have one on every machine.

163.jpg

A 1 AMP charger never hurt my ski before. So it seems that you already had a problem before since someone connected a charger to your battery?

Benji.

I'm curious about this too. I was always told never charge the battery in the ski. Is that not quite true? Can they be maintained while still hooked up?

Battery tenders and chargers under 2.5 amps will not cause harm..

No BOOST type boxes or chargers. They are capable of harming the MPEM. Many have done so and never had an issue, just as may have fried theirs,,

During the summer, I charge my batteries while still in the ski with a NOCO Genius 7200 charger. I've never had a problem. The warning I've read in the owners manual refers to jump starting; depending on the source of the jump start, you are talking about a whole lot more amperage than a battery charger or tender.

Unless someone does a scientific experiment with dozens of MPEMs, we will never know for sure. As a rule of thumb, I never go above 1.5 AMPS and no jumping. As for battery packs, I did use one last year without issues but it was a small one.

Benji.

I used the battery tender trickle charger for years, 2 stroke and 4 stroke, yamaha/seadoo/honda, zero issues, and I never disconnected the battery.

most of the time I use the quick connect plugs from BT, I bought spares so I could have one on every machine.

163.jpg

that's what i use with my battery tender. i never pulled my battery out during the winter but is in a temp controlled garage. i just hook my tender each month or the night before i ride. never an issue

yip, the tender is a good product, never let me down.

Nick talked me into the optimate4 when I was flipping a lot of ski's and it paid for itself immediately by saving a couple of "dead" batteries, uses the same connector. actually i've been thinking of bying more of those connectors for quick connects on the bilge, gps, etc... rather than the little crappy waterproof connectors I use now...

173.jpg

these little buggers work, but i'd prefer the big SAE connectors, just need the garage to cool down.

update, when i connect the lanyard switch, i am not getting any beeps. i change computers and same result. i also conect the Candoo Pro and it's not reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back