Confused with navigation buoys

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

crazy4h2o

So I passed the boaters exam and read it all about buoys but still getting confused when on the lakes where its impossible (at least for me) to figure out which is upstream vs downstream.

Yesterday ran into a red buoy in the middle of a channel between two lakes. All these lakes around here are interconnected with hundreds of islands its impossible to tell where each lake ends, begins, nevermind which way water flows (I love east central Ontario, can go for hours from lake to lake without ever being in he same place twice.

Anyhow, so I ran into this buoy for the first time and got confused which way to go. Since it was middle of the week, not too many boats I waited to see how others pass it (the best way). Didn't want to risk it since the water was 5ft only and I know these are some rocky lakes.

So after a while I saw couple of boats passing it, one went on one side and the second boat went the other way... Confused even more I passed it on the side the bigger boat took, but now I am worried I am missing something.

I know about RRR red returning right rule etc but in this case no clue how to determine returning way???

attached drawing of this specific area.
135.jpg

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back