Clicking sound with trying to start one of the motors

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mateo

Hello. I have a 1999 Challenger 1800. I have a problem. I took the boot out last week. No issues. Both engines started and it ran great. Took it out yesterday. Before towing to the location, I was able to start both motors with no problem. When I arrived after hauling the boat for two hours, the starboard motor would not start. Got a clicking sound. The port motor started fine, no problems. I tried many times to start the motor with no luck.

Today, I accessed the solenoid of the starboard motor to see if it was the problem. I put a screwdriver across the two bolts and tried to start - but still no luck. Lots of sparks and a couple of marks on my screwdriver. But still the clicking noise.

Tomorrow I was going to start to swap parts from the port engine to the starboard to try to isolate the issue. Any advice on the order I should do the swapping. I was going to start with the black box that contains the solenoid. Does that sound right?

Thanks for any help.

If you are getting LOTS OF SPARKS, without the starter engaging, you have a bad starter and or the engine is seized.

First things first, pull the spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine over by hand. If not, pull the pump as you may have seized bearings. They will also stop an engine from spinning over.

If you are getting LOTS OF SPARKS, without the starter engaging, you have a bad starter and or the engine is seized.

First things first, pull the spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine over by hand. If not, pull the pump as you may have seized bearings. They will also stop an engine from spinning over.

newbie here. how do I turn the engine over by hand?

Pull the spark plugs to eliminate the compression. You should be able to see the drive shaft behind the engine. If so, put a wrap on it and use some channel locks.

If it were me, I’d pull the pump and use an Impeller Tool.

Also, 4-tecs do not like to be spun backwards. So crank the other engine so you can see which direction the shaft spins, then spin the other shaft in the same direction.

I pulled the plugs. The piston are moving easily so I don't believe the engine is seized. Should I try to swap the solenoid now?

This happened to me when I had my 1998 Challenger 1800. Both engines started fine out of the water. In the water the port engine started fine, but the starboard engine just clicked. Turns out the battery started to go bad. The starboard engine cables are a little bit longer since the starter is farther from the battery and has a larger voltage drop. This happened even though the battery was fully charged.

Having a similiar problem with second engine. If cold, the engine clicks and starts turning. If it fires and does not start, the second attempt to start, it only clicks. Any suggestions? Will not turnover again until cool off period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back