Circlip Tool size

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

caw0215

Looking to invest in the installation tool. I have the 2 outer circlips installed but when the wrist arm is installed I can't get the remaining 2 in. New ProX pistons and cylinders freshly bored 1 over so don't want to risk scoring or ending up with out of round circlips.

I found a few on the internet but they are for different sizes. I think it's the 20mm? ..can anyone confirm the exact size needed?

I have never used the tool, just a small craftsman screwdriver and your thumb. Use your thumb to hold most of the ring flush with one end in the hole then the screwdriver to pop the other end into the small side relief hole. Make sure when you are done the clip gap is facing straight up or straight down.

I have never used the tool, just a small craftsman screwdriver and your thumb. Use your thumb to hold most of the ring flush with one end in the hole then the screwdriver to pop the other end into the small side relief hole. Make sure when you are done the clip gap is facing straight up or straight down.
With piston in hand and easy access the I can get the first outside clip in ok. Its when it's on the wrist pin and in a fixed position that it gets awkward and frustrating.
Thanks will give your workflow a go.

I agree with you in having the tool. I've looked into the tool a few times but I can't confirm which one I need. I've busted my fingers and thumb too many freakin times. LOL There is a knack to the install of the clips but you'll have one flying across the shop on occasion wondering where it went. The 951 is the worst doing the install with the engine in the ski. Whatever you decide... be careful and good Luck.

Thanks. I picked up the cheapest w/free shipping I could find and had to guess on the 20mm but that actually worked out OK. Only negative was it took a week to get here. No instructions but I figured it out.

Didn't want to buy any more single use tools but the time I would've spent trying to get the last 2 clips in seems to justify the cost.

SPI - SM-12452 - CIRCLIP INSTALLATION TOOL 20MM - Walmart.com

How did the tool work?? I need one bad but had issues with guessing the size I needed. Thanks for taking the step !! I've given enough pain and blood on those suckers and wasted more than engine time searching and wondering where the lil bastid flew off too. :D :D

Thanks. I picked up the cheapest w/free shipping I could find and had to guess on the 20mm but that actually worked out OK. Only negative was it took a week to get here. No instructions but I figured it out.

Didn't want to buy any more single use tools but the time I would've spent trying to get the last 2 clips in seems to justify the cost.

SPI - SM-12452 - CIRCLIP INSTALLATION TOOL 20MM - Walmart.com

Hey question.... I see how the tool is made and I don't quite understand the part that unscrews. Help me out here....

So the circlip is placed in position and the long part of the tool inserts into the wrist pin. The flange on the tool applies pressure to the circlip and pushes it into place. Is that correct? Did you have to use a screwdriver to push the circlip into place or did it just slide right into position and snap in?

I ask these questions because I have a lathe and can easily make this tool if that is all it is. Again... thanks for taking the step and posting your results. Very helpful !!

Yes I had to use a screwdriver to position the clip facing up then with the plunger part you pushed the clip into the opening, use the round ball end to push the clip into the groove if it hasn’t gone in already

Looks like it is a good tool to have in the box. I do a lot of top ends... for a retired guy that is. 95% of what I do is for my own projects/restorations. I enjoy the top ends much more than the whole engine and I only do those when I have time constraints.

Looking to invest in the installation tool. I have the 2 outer circlips installed but when the wrist arm is installed I can't get the remaining 2 in. New ProX pistons and cylinders freshly bored 1 over so don't want to risk scoring or ending up with out of round circlips.

I found a few on the internet but they are for different sizes. I think it's the 20mm? ..can anyone confirm the exact size needed?
Try wood tongue depressor or pop sickle stick. Something plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back