Chunks of Black Plastic Inside Impeller Housing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my neighbor's SeaDoo. He's getting ready to work on it after it's sat unused for years. Inside the Impeller Housing are many small chunks of thick, black plastic. They all have a slight, spherical curve to them, as if they originally came off some kind of shroud. The owner thinks that possibly neighborhood kids might have just shoved plastic inside the impeller, but wants to know for certain in case something inside is broken and needs to be replaced. The plastic is weak, and brittle. You can snap the pieces in half with just moderate hand pressure. The photo is about 1/4 the total number of plastic chunks inside, to give some sense of how large the plastic piece might have been before it was broken into all these smaller pieces.

The owner thinks it's a 1995, and a 650, maybe a "657" cc engine. He also thinks the sticker in the photo is the "serial number", or possibly the model number, but when I ran the text on Google I came up with no result.

Second, the one photo shows two gaskets on the yellow seat. One is for the box holding the "electronics" and I can't remember what he said the other one was for. Both are broken. His theory is that the previous owner thought they should be placed inside the hole before the cover was inserted, instead of being placed on the cover before both were inserted at the same time. The rubber is still pliable, but obviously old. He says he's looked for these replacement gaskets and could not find any. Looking to find a source for these replacement parts, else the only other idea is to "super glue" the ends together and put them back in service as is.

Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Resized_20200503_124912.jpgResized_20200503_124820.jpg20200503_163212.jpgResized_20200503_124857.jpgResized_20200503_125238.jpg

Last edited:
Those chunks are the wear ring, you need a new one. The big gasket is for the air box lid, it goes on the air box side.

Those chunks are the wear ring, you need a new one. The big gasket is for the air box lid, it goes on the air box side.

Thanks. I've seen the "wear ring" mentioned here many times, so I'm certain I can find out all about that on my own. What about replacement source for the two gaskets, and also any idea on the specific model/year, or how to find out? I'd like to get him the full factory specs on everything, such as oil type, etc... Also I'll need that information to find a source for a replacement wear ring, and also installation instructions.

Looks to me like 1996 GTI. The HIN should be on the back right of the ski if I remember correctly and I think the last 2 digits are the year. A quick google search on that and you should be able to find your factory manual as well as OEM part numbers.

Yes las 2 digits of the VIN is the year.

Westside powersports SeaDoo will have everything you need.

Looks to me like 1996 GTI. The HIN should be on the back right of the ski if I remember correctly and I think the last 2 digits are the year. A quick google search on that and you should be able to find your factory manual as well as OEM part numbers.
Good. Thanks. That's exactly what I need.

Okay so I have the VIN#. I can tell the year is 1996, but so far have been unable to find an online VIN/Registration decoder that tells me more than this (other than which digits are the serial number).

ZZNxxxxxK596 (5 digit serial number masked)

Any help?

It's a 1996 GTI with the 720 engine.
I believe you, but how do you know that? I'm probably going to end-up buying parts for someone else's seadoo, with someone else's money, so I'd like to be certain before I do. Also, I get the general idea that there is a 4 digit "model number" associated with the "1996 GTI with a 720 engine", and for some reason I think it's "5865". 1) is this accurate, and 2) could someone explain this number and what it means, in general and/or specifically to this model.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.seadoosource.com/seadoomodelreference.html

https://www.seadoopartshouse.com/oemparts/l/sea/500d8f9ef8700209082587a7/1996-gti-5865-parts

Scroll to 1996. Lower left cluster of the images for 96. The last 2 digits of the hin you provided are the year. The second link is the parts microfiche, the engine is "717" dubbed the 720. Also, if you look on the back there might be a decal with the model number 5865. Then to further assure you, we all eat, breathe, and sleep seadoos. The only thing is if someone swapped the engine with a 657. But pics of the engine could confirm, more then likely that didn't happen.

Nah, you're all good brother. Totally get where you were coming from. Now if your trash talked him, lol. Just kidding. Ask questions, that's how you learn. My bro in law had that same exact ski. We called it the Lux o' barge. Very smooth ride but still fun.

Those chunks are the wear ring, you need a new one.

Is the "Carbon Ring" the same thing as a "wear ring"? I have part #7 (272000770) from here. Can someone confirm this for me please?

I read elsewhere that to replace the wear ring, an "18mm impeller spline prop holding tool" is needed for another year/model. I assume I will need one as well. True? (I found one for $15.00.) Also that no other parts, tools or materials (grease, glue, etc...) are needed. True?

EDIT***
Also I just noticed you can buy either the ring by itself, or an entire kit, which includes some o-rings. The other stuff does not seem to need to be replace, but not sure. I assume the o-rings should be replaced, but I can buy those separately. What about the "stainless steel support ring", etc...?

Last edited:
The wear ring is not the same a s the carbon seal.

The wear ring is the pump liner that the impeller rides in.

To do the wear ring you will need the impeller tool, the new wear ring ans new pump cone 0-ring, pump oil and some Loctite 518/515 to seal the pump nozzle.

Okay, so my neighbor, the actual owner of this 96 GTI, is a do-it-yourselfer. Lifetime tradesman, and he works on restoring an old car in his driveway. So I assumed he'd want to do this work himself, but I'm getting the idea that because I have two Seadoos and have done some work on them before, I'm the one that should do the work replacing the wear ring, because I'm "better qualified" (even though I've never done one before either). And I read the service manual, and while it was clear and precise, it doesn't really give you the "big picture" in terms of what you need to do vs. what to not do. Just a set of tasks (like 3 or 4) without any guidance on which need to be done and which doesn't. I know I need a new wear ring, but I don't know about anything else. I didn't care when it was going to be the neighbor doing the work. I figured I get him the parts, the service manual and let him figure it out, but I suspect he's thinking that I should be the one to do the work, and he says he's willing to pay me, so we're no longer in a "friendly neighbor" situation. Instead, we're in a "paid professional" situation. Lol. (But it's not really funny. In fact it's quite grim.)

So, first I figure the thing to do is start reading threads here where people have replaced the wear ring. Maybe I can learn some "do's" and "don'ts". Are there any standard "go to" threads here for wear ring replacement. I did a search here of the text "wear ring", and nothing really jumped out as being particularly informative (vs. everything else).

Pull the pump, remove the pump cone and place the flat part of the pump shaft in a vice, use the correct impeller tool to remove the impeller. Cut a strip in the old wear ring and remove it. Put the new wear ring in the freezer then install the new wear ring. Reinstall the impeller, pump cone and fresh pump oil.Reinstall the pump with a new neoprene seal.

Pull the pump, remove the pump cone and place the flat part of the pump shaft in a vice, use the correct impeller tool to remove the impeller. Cut a strip in the old wear ring and remove it. Put the new wear ring in the freezer then install the new wear ring. Reinstall the impeller, pump cone and fresh pump oil.Reinstall the pump with a new neoprene seal.

Thanks, this is what I needed. Also there's a bunch of Youtube videos that show all the various steps in several different ways. But I do still have one question.

The Service Manual is very specific about what exact type of Loctite you are supposed to use, and where. I've counted 4 different kinds, so far. Looking on eBay, the cheapest of these average about $8.00 each, so 4 x $8.00 = $32.00 in Loctite. How strict are these requirements/standards? Is there a way to use Blue where the service manual calls for Black, etc...?

For the pump you only need blue for the bolts and Loctite 518/515 for the cone o-ring and reduction nozzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back