Chevy Colorado

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

harryb

I have been thinking about buying a used Chevy Colorado, does anyone out there have one or experience with them. This is a trusted forum and any and all opinions offered would be appreciated.:cheers:

Hi Harry,

First of all I'm a Chevy man, my son had a S10 pickup, not so good, the Colorado is like the second generation, same drive train. The Ford Ranger is a much better truck, I'm biting my tongue.

Lou

Stay away from the 3.5 in the earlier years. The newer 3.7 is a much better motor.

The Colorado is a good looking truck I have been looking at that and the Toyota Tundra.

Hi Harry,

First of all I'm a Chevy man, my son had a S10 pickup, not so good, the Colorado is like the second generation, same drive train. The Ford Ranger is a much better truck, I'm biting my tongue.

Lou

Not sure if I could prove that right or wrong, but the S10 and Colorado share next to nothing other than the bowtie on the grill. From the engine back to the transmission, and 4WD system are all different. I guess I could be wrong.

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...s-chevys-long-history-in-small-trucks-256473/

I owned one of the first 2004 Colorado's with the 220hp 3.5ltr I5. Of course it had warranty and any little computer issues that came up in that first generation Colorado, GM took care of. It was a very good truck, and pulled my Shuttlecraft with ease.

In 2008, I got into almost the same exact truck, the Colorado Crew Cab Z71 with the improved 240hp 3.7ltr I5. I wanted the V8, but they were ultra rare. The 2008 had noticeably more power for towing. Mileage was about the same. I did have the chance to drive this in fairly deep snow as I towed sleds with this truck and we had plenty of times to burry it in deep snow. The Z71 package did give it much more clearance and larger tires. It was great on washboard roads too.

I did tow our 20ft Seadoo with this truck. You knew it was back there, but it was well within it's tow capacity. I did move to a full sized Sierra in 2012. Mileage of the full sized truck was actually a bit better and it towed much better. Not saying the Colorado was bad.

This year, I did check out the new Colorado and test drove the 2015 Canyon before buying my new Sierra. That was a tough choice as the new Canyon was better in all aspects. Over 300hp, the long bed was nice, and they upgraded every feature in the cab. I could have purchased a similarly featured Canyon for about $10K less than my Sierra. I just get the feeling I may be upgrading to a larger boat. So I thought I would stick with the Sierra.

You won't go wrong with a well maintained Colorado or Canyon for that matter.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy something with LSx based engine. Affordable, efficient for the HP/TQ is produces, lightweight for an all alum. V8, huge parts supply new and used, oe and high performance.

Rob

You know, guys that drive Colorado's have a German Shepard as a pet.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I got in a bit of a bind for a new vehicle last April and honestly could not find a used Colorado that was worth buying in this area, so I went looking for new. The newer design Colorado had not arrived on the scene at that time so I was limited to the Nissan or Toyota trucks. I did not want or need a full size truck basically because of the height of the box sides and the difficulty of climbing into the cab, you have to realize that I'm kind of a "old fart". I settled on the Nissan and have been fairly happy with it so far. I purchased a four door SV four wheel drive with the long bed and V6 automatic package. The two biggest downfalls are the turning radius, worse than most semi trucks, and the mileage which averages about 14mpg. I have looked several times at the new Colorado and will wait a year now to see how it does, then possibly trade the Frontier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back