Checking in after Ike...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
Well, we came out VERY good considering the widespread damage.

We had a generator and 2 portable ACs, and used them for a couple days, but power came back up quickly. So I have lots of gas left in my hoard for driving over the next few weeks, which is good, because most of the gas stations have lines 1/2 mile long, and after sitting for 1-2 hours, they turn you away saying they are empty, "but a tanker is pulling up to such-and-such, and good luck...etc.".

Grocery stores are starting to open up. They let in only 10 people at a time to get what they need, then as a group goes out, the next group goes in, and again, a line half a mile long out the front of the store (exaggerating here, but not on the gas lines).

We had minimal damage. We have a small 1300 sq ft house surrounded by 2 stories, so of the 115 mph winds, we only got them from a limited direction and for a limited time. Lost most of our backyard fence, and a couple of sections of shingles off our house. Other than that, ALL the leaves are gone from our trees and spread across our property. Inside and out...

My parents are living with us. They lived in Surfside Beach until before the storm. Their house is still standing, but not liveable, even though the part above the stilts is dry and minimally damaged. FEMA and the police will not let them back on to live for another 2-4 weeks. They have a long-term hotel set up starting friday, for as long as a month, maybe more, until electricity is back on and they are allowed back in their home.

My mother in law lived in Galveston, and hasn't been back on to see if her house sustained damage or not. She might be moving in soon. Her husband works for NOAA and should be back on the island soon, with free gas from the government, so if their house is damaged, they should be provided with arrangements.

There is widespread damage, and much of the electricity is still down, Houston is still pretty much dead, and surrounding areas. Work is still closed for most of us. So we are just spending our days cleaning up the neighborhood and drinking beers...

MOST IMPORTANTLY...my new challenger motor is stuck in Dallas. Was supposed to be delivered on Friday, but UPS is not coming south of Dallas, and I am stuck with a boat that doesn't run (sorry, gotta keep my sense of humor).

The boat was in the garage at work and my secretary reports that the garage made it OK. Jet ski came to our house and is fine, but needs to be run. I was hoping the streets would flood enough to ride through the neighborhood, but the roads drained quite well, and it has been sitting without being started.

Long post, but overall, we are doing well. Hope that those around us get up and running soon...

I was hoping the streets would flood enough to ride through the neighborhood, lol that funny. Good that u and your family are all ok....:cheers:

Pics

Before and after of my parents' house.

And down the street from my house...

I have lots more, but this is about what it all looks like.

There were 40 or so houses near my parents on the same island that just disappeared. Even worse a little east of us on Bolivar peninsula and Galveston Island. Areas where only one house is standing over the course of 2-3 miles of island.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 12
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 13
  • storm.jpg
    storm.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 12
Glad to hear from you....

It's good to hear from you Scott.........Galveston got hit pretty hard.

Although the storm was the largest in size I've seen in quite some time (600 miles in diameter), it could have been much worse had it come in as a cat 4 or 5. I think they said it was a cat 2 but it seems the huge wall of water was the most destructive.

I live on Dog River, about a mile (by the way a bird flies) from Mobile bay and we are about 500 miles from Houston and we still got a 6 foot storm surge here. The water was up over our road.......and over at Fort Morgan pennisula, the surge un-earthed an old ship, circa the civil war they think. I saw it on the national news. So, this was one hell of a huge storm.

Just glad to see you make it out o.k. One of our members said he got slammed pretty hard. No services what so ever. I don't think he's been back on since that day after, but he said it was really bad. I'll be in and edit in a minute......I want to get his name.

It was "slowboatn"........from Needvilled, Texas. I see he has come back in on the 16th, so hopefully, he's getting a bit back to normal too.

For anyone who has never been through a hurricane, it's something you wouldn't wish on anyone. The strom surge is usually the worse thing for coastal residents. Your dwelling may be able to stand up well to the wind, it's the water coming through on that surge that knocks down your protection. A tornado packs higher winds, but normally only covers a smaller area. This hurricane for example had a path that was as far as 600 miles across. That included the tropical storm force winds as well.

Just glad to see ya'll are o.k.............

Last edited by a moderator:
Needville is about 25 miles north and west of me. So he got very similar weather. His town is much smaller than Angleton (we are the county seat of Brazoria co.) so they got power up here much faster than surrounding and rural areas.

We got our power back faster than most areas in Houston and larger/wealthier suburbs! We were just lucky...

Now that we got both our families out of the house I will get my boat out of storage and bring it home to start the engine swap.

Anna's mother and step-dad live in Galveston, and he works for the government (NOAA) so they are taken care of and provided with a hotel while they rebuild. My parents got permission to move back into their house in Surfside and bought a generator so they will have portable A/C and fans, while they rebuild. Both homes got some pretty serious damage, but are safe structures to live in while fixing it all up.

So, slowly but surely, we are trying to get back to a "normal" life and are returning to work while repairing and surveying our damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back