Challenger extended ride plate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
YES! Well I think so. . . Going this weekend to pick it up (as long as everything checks out) 2000 Islandia!

As one of the first few to order the ride plate for my Challenger (of which I still have BTW) I can't say enough good things about it! It changed our boating experience 100%. No more running to the front of the boat when we take off. Simply the best money I ever spent! Thank you...

So. . . .OF COURSE I NEED one for my Islandia. . . .

I'm also looking for a Fuel Baffle for the Islandia - PN: 204560222

Hey Aquaman, please let me know when you make another batch. I recently purchased a 2000 Challenger 1800 merc 210 and would like to upgrade to your "AM rideplate". Thanks!

Has anyone put one of these on a Utopia 205? If I could get the same results that everyone else is so happy about, I'd definitely be in on one as well.. Sounds great!

Hi, do you know what size Allen key fits in the heads of the two set screws? I have a metric set but none fit exactly.

Here is a related question. For anyone that understands the sheer ratings on screws and bolts.

After winterization, my dealer tells me that I am missing one screw from the front of the ride plate. I am actually getting the feeling they may have broken it, as it is not missing but sheered off! I am going to have to pull the plate and hopefully have enough of the shaft sticking out to be able to grab it with a vise grip and pull it out.

When replacing those screws, am I looking for a certain grade screw to replace it with? I don't care to sheer off another, as I am guessing there is quite a bit of force on those two screws.

I was surprised to find it is the exact same dimension as the screw that we use on the leading edge of Hyfax runners on Yamaha snowmobiles. I keep spares of those as they tend to strip out.

Any help is welcome, as this is the first issue I have had with the ride plate. And by no fault to the plate itself. We just may need to consider a better grade screw when putting this sort of force on the plate.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SeptemberC View Post
Hey guys. I hate to ask this but I'm on the road and don't have access to a real computer. Can someone give me the part number for the screws that hold the ride plate? Thought I'd get a few on order. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I Ordered the screws last week from Boats.net

832838 SCREW (Mercury Marine) $1.23 x (2)
850047 SCREW (Mercury Marine) $1.81 x (2)

Hope that helps!

I will be ordering the metal on Monday. The plates should be done by the middle to the end of the month. Thanks for being patient.

AwEsOmE!!! Need to change the title of this tread to add Islandia. I'm so excited. I have a few little fiddly bits that I need to get ordered for my new toy. The rear ladder door hinge.. A rear seat support just to name a few. It snowed here last night. I'm really trying to get Spring Fever.

Please let me know what you require to include me in this group of ride plates being manufactured. I can provide up front down payment if necessary just say the word!

Putting on my ride plate today (thanks Aquaman1)two phillip head screws on the ride plate are become a pain to remove . They will not budge any suggestions. Anything special that needs to be done here?

241.jpg

You need to back off the jamb nut. Then use a HUGE Phillips screw driver to loosen the screw. You have to do it in steps. Back off jamb nut, unscrew, back off jamb nut, unscrew.
I have never seen the jamb nut down tight against the washers and tight against the top like that before.
Was it like that when you started?

Try holding the jamb nut with a wrench at the same time you are loosening with the screw driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually the ride plate is adjusted down and/or away from the jet housing to help with porpoising. On our challenger we had it adjusted down almost all of the way yet still leaving enough screw thread to keep it from ripping out. We also had it pitched down further on the drivers side because my husband weighs more than I do and this leveled the boat out during cruising.
With yours adjusted the way it was no wonder you were experiencing problems.
The screw is used to adjust the ride plate height, the jamb nut tightens down on the washers to "lock" it in place. (Leaving some screw visually exposed above the jamb nut)

I had a real time getting those screws out. I would blowtorch the black housing until it was red-hot, and then try and turning the screws out, but I just kept stripping them until only a circle-bit would fit them.
Eventually, I ended up using a flat-head screwdriver in the corner of the stipped part of the screw, and using a hammer to tap it - turning the screw 1/32 at a time. Then, eventually the screw was out enough to grab it with some vice grips.

Here is a related question. For anyone that understands the sheer ratings on screws and bolts.

After winterization, my dealer tells me that I am missing one screw from the front of the ride plate. I am actually getting the feeling they may have broken it, as it is not missing but sheered off! I am going to have to pull the plate and hopefully have enough of the shaft sticking out to be able to grab it with a vise grip and pull it out.

When replacing those screws, am I looking for a certain grade screw to replace it with? I don't care to sheer off another, as I am guessing there is quite a bit of force on those two screws.

I was surprised to find it is the exact same dimension as the screw that we use on the leading edge of Hyfax runners on Yamaha snowmobiles. I keep spares of those as they tend to strip out.

Any help is welcome, as this is the first issue I have had with the ride plate. And by no fault to the plate itself. We just may need to consider a better grade screw when putting this sort of force on the plate.

Thanks everyone!

We also had 2 shear off on the front of the ride plate. What was your conclusion?
How did you remedy the broken off screws?

Aqua - I am excited! I received my SS ride plate from you and we installed it today. Now only if the weather would warm up. . . Thank you!!

We also had 2 shear off on the front of the ride plate. What was your conclusion?
How did you remedy the broken off screws?

It's been in storage all winter, so I have not dealt with it yet. It's snowing again today, but at least the ice is coming off the lakes. I HATE TWEENER SEASON!!

I'm guessing, I will pull the plate and hopefully be able to get that broken screw out with a vice grip. I will replace and see how it goes. I may order the screws listed above, but I am unsure if they are any different than the ones I already have.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back